Question on weirdness of one of the Canadian silver dimes I found awhile back

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the 1940 George VI silver dime I found. I put it in a sleeve tonight and happened to notice something weird about it. I compared it to the 1943 dime I also found and yes, it is different. I searched online and nowhere can I find any info on this.

So here's whats weird. On any dime, modern or old that I've seen, if you have the head straight and flip the dime over, the bluenose sailboat is straight as well. Well on this 1940 dime is is *NOT*.
The bottom of the ship is offset to the right slightly. Far enough to notice that its not straight at all when you turn the coin sleeve over. George's head is straight on the front, flip it over and the sailboat is crooked.

Anyone seen this before? Any information appreciated.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's called a rotated die and can carry a premium. Just Google it and read up what comes up.
HH
enamel7

OP
OP
TheGeorgiaCanuck

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
enamel7 said:
It's called a rotated die and can carry a premium. Just Google it and read up what comes up.
HH
enamel7

Thanks for responding. I had no idea how to search for it. Crooked sailboat did nothing ;)

I also see unless it's more than 15deg off center it adds nothing to the value. oh well.

Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread