Old Gold Coins Getting Melted, How Sad...

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Old Gold Coins Getting Melted, How Sad...

Hi all,
Just read in a daily update that more common date US golds and commems
are going into the pot.
"In U.S. gold type coins that trend could not be more apparent than the fact that $20 Liberties in MS-63 went below a 14 percent premium to melt at wholesale ask. Major gold coin/scrap dealers are now melting lower grade $5 through $20 U.S. gold coins and many modern commemorative gold pieces because premiums have eroded to zero." :'(

Attachments

• GOLD HOARD.jpg
    GOLD HOARD.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 1,214

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: Old Gold Coins Getting Melted, How Sad...

Gold is what makes the world go round. If some dealer has coins sitting in his case that he can't move for over melt I understand why they'd just scrap them. Not that I condone it! :-[

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

I'm not aware of any bylaw, but it would be my opinion/preference - that coin dealers who want to belong to the ANA and promote their business as being a member should be obligated to retain numismatic coins or lose their credentials. Bullion coins can be disposed of in any manner either by sale to collectors,dealers, or refiners. Some can argue that they own the coins and can do whatever they choose. But I would take the position that as a professional member of a numismatic guild that they are merely custodians of said coins for future generations.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diver_Down said:
I'm not aware of any bylaw, but it would be my opinion/preference - that coin dealers who want to belong to the ANA and promote their business as being a member should be obligated to retain numismatic coins or lose their credentials. Bullion coins can be disposed of in any manner either by sale to collectors,dealers, or refiners. Some can argue that they own the coins and can do whatever they choose. But I would take the position that as a professional member of a numismatic guild that they are merely custodians of said coins for future generations.

:thumbsup:

Best,
Scott

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Anything made in modern days that is made strictly for "collectibility" SHOULD be melted down as soon as the value of the metal exceeds what you paid for it. They are worthless as collectibles when millions are made and sold as collectibles. Rarity will drive prices up, if they truly are "collectible". My two cents, rapidly becoming 1/10th of a cent, LOL!

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Jeffro said:
Anything made in modern days that is made strictly for "collectibility" SHOULD be melted down as soon as the value of the metal exceeds what you paid for it. They are worthless as collectibles when millions are made and sold as collectibles. Rarity will drive prices up, if they truly are "collectible". My two cents, rapidly becoming 1/10th of a cent, LOL!
Thanks for your replies,
This is not just the commems, we're talking pretty much any 'common' gold coin
that has seen circulation, such as the ones pictured. I spoke with my coin guy, and he's shipping them off too.
It is a crying shame ::)

Attachments

• GOLD 1881 001.jpg
    GOLD 1881 001.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 1,577
  • GOLD 1881 002.jpg
    GOLD 1881 002.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 2,061
OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Diver_Down said:
Agreed DiverDown :thumbsup:

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wait, I don't get it. Do you mean that the refineries used to pay a 14% premium over melt, and now they just pay melt? If that's so, I could buy common golds from a dealer at melt, too (at least he'd get paid faster than the refinery pays him), or am I not understanding this?

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

jr98119 said:
Wait, I don't get it. Do you mean that the refineries used to pay a 14% premium over melt, and now they just pay melt? If that's so, I could buy common golds from a dealer at melt, too (at least he'd get paid faster than the refinery pays him), or am I not understanding this?
no refinery pays higher than melt, the 14% figure refers to the "ask"
price, (the going rate to buy the coins wholesale).
My coin guy sells common silver & gold coins at current spot price.
He makes his money when purchasing them, this makes sense,
who is more likely to accept the loss, someone looking to buy, or someone who wants to sell? If I see someone heading into a shop who looks to be a potential seller,
I will usually ask if they want a better price than they'll get inside, (not at my guys shop)
Made some good buys this way :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread