• Snapshot_20111211.JPG
    Snapshot_20111211.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 918

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great find. :thumbsup: Congrats.

Need some better pics. There is also an 1869, 9 0ver 9 overdate so pay close attention to that area.

capndan151

Apr 29, 2007
Costa Mesa CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
If you soaked it in warm soapy water and got some more of the dirt off, I don't see why you couldn't get 50-80 dollars for it.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
capndan151 said:
If you soaked it in warm soapy water and got some more of the dirt off, I don't see why you couldn't get 50-80 dollars for it.

It would still remain green and corroded. I would think a value of $50 or less is most likely, if it was sold at ebay. It's a good date to find while MD'n regardless.

OP
OP
midwest_mick

midwest_mick

Apr 26, 2010
indiana
Detector(s) used
minelab sovereign gt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes i just need to get the dirt off other than that the coin looks new if it was minted green lol every line and detail is still in it ! i was just wondering what it was worth but im going to keep it and leave it as is i rather like the green patina :) thank you guys!!

Truetone30

Greenie
Apr 22, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you have a youtube account? also it could be worth anything from $4.00 to $400.00+

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truetone30 said:
do you have a youtube account? also it could be worth anything from $4.00 to $400.00+

It's very important to be conservative on coin values. No disrespect intended but the coin is not worth anywhere near $400 in this condition. It's a good date, a possible VG8-F12 net, and $50 is a good conservative value. At the correct auction it could bring near $100, but it's green, and that's obvious damage.

I am not trying to down the coin or anyone elses statements or opinions, but I study value trends for my website price guides. Plus, I sell a lot of coins. So I have a good idea of what coins bring at retail and auction.

Now if the coin was a 69/69, as mentioned before, then that would be a different value altogether.

Truetone30

Greenie
Apr 22, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoinHELP! said:
Truetone30 said:

It's very important to be conservative on coin values. No disrespect intended but the coin is not worth anywhere near $400 in this condition. It's a good date, a possible VG8-F12 net, and $50 is a good conservative value. At the correct auction it could bring near $100, but it's green, and that's obvious damage.

I Just gave prices of what they go for, anywhere from 4.00 to 400+ and ill be honest. When it comes to sales its really a hit and miss, look at it this way, Its value my only be such and such but there are allways people out there willing to pay more for it. :icon_thumleft: no Disrespect but if someone wanted to buy it for more then its value you could get anything. ::)

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Just gave prices of what they go for, anywhere from 4.00 to 400+ and ill be honest. When it comes to sales its really a hit and miss, look at it this way, Its value my only be such and such but there are allways people out there willing to pay more for it. :icon_thumleft: no Disrespect but if someone wanted to buy it for more then its value you could get anything. ::)

The value for this date would never be as low as $4. I was trying to give the OP the best and most accurate value for his 1869, based on the condition and grade, and not a value range for almost all Indian Head cents before 82'. You're range is off the mark on both ends of the scale, and it's important to not confuse a person on their coin values.

I spent several weeks researching the values for this chart here http://coinauctionshelp.com/IndianHead_SmallCent_Mintages_PriceGuide.html

I will let this lie so I don't flame any egos, and I am not trying to be the value police, or call anyone out. I think it's nearing that point, and that takes the fun out of posting on this forum.

I do respect what you're saying on the values, but I have so much time in researching that I am confident in what I stated. Peace!

OP
OP
midwest_mick

midwest_mick

Apr 26, 2010
indiana
Detector(s) used
minelab sovereign gt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i guess i'll have to get it cleaned and graded. but the real point is i found the best coin so far in all my years of m.d'ing and to me it's a awesome penny.!!!!! lol

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
midwest_mick said:
i guess i'll have to get it cleaned and graded. but the real point is i found the best coin so far in all my years of m.d'ing and to me it's a awesome penny.!!!!! lol

Its an awesome find. Tread carefully with getting it cleaned. There is a member here that dug and 1877 (key date and high dollar value). He sent his to one of the larger firms for restoration and grading. They killed the coin with their "restoration". It was not PCGS but may have been NGC; can't recall for sure . I'll see if I can locate the thread and post it here. Very sad story.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
midwest_mick said:

The coin will get a net grade because of the damage, and you should not clean the coin. The green coating is actually what preserved the coin for you to find it. Once this coin reached maximum oxidization, this oxidized layer, sealed the rest of the coin from further "rust", at the least, it slowed down the process dramatically.

If you want it holdered then by all means send it off, but I wouldn't do much anything but soap and water to remove loose dirt.

capndan151

Apr 29, 2007
Costa Mesa CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Don't waste your money grading that coin. Its not worth it. I wouldn't clean it either. Soap and water only. But its your coin so its up to you. Congrats on a great find!!!

OP
OP
midwest_mick

midwest_mick

Apr 26, 2010
indiana
Detector(s) used
minelab sovereign gt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i sold the coin this morning dirt and all lol got $100.00 for it !.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
midwest_mick said:
well i sold the coin this morning dirt and all lol got $100.00 for it !.

Great turn arund for an MD find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread