Trade Dollars?

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line up front: I have teh opportunity to purchase some Trade Dollars, but want to know if the vendor is selling them as "fake" because they're not 'real' money, or because they're fake Trade Dollars. Are there any Trade Dollar experts here that care to share, please?

So, I'm currently in Afghanistan, and visited some of the local shops and saw oodles of coins for sale. Ever the skeptic and frankly tired of hearing/reading about using caution when buying anything of value here, I'm approaching this from the flanks. Most of the coins in the display case have a price point of about 40. USD. Not a problem, I'm as good as any when haggling. One, a Morgan dollar, this guy wants 140. USD. Insane, I say. It's not graded and it's handled often, so figure half of what he's asking for anything, is about the upper limits of any items worth. In a basket on the floor is large offering of coins, including current US small cents and Euro cents. Jumbled in there are fake US silver dollars, and they're obvious. They're so light and have that 'dusty' or 'sticky' feel to them like cheap pot metal, as they're probably made from tin or aluminum. There's even a quarter teh size of a silver dollar, with a portrait of George Washington and the date 1865 on it. God help me is THAT thing is real or has any value - I almost walked out right there, when I saw it! And, there's many other coins in the basket, too. Some Soviet/Russian and many with Arabic script. Also, the aforementioned "Trade Dollars."

Now, I know the history of them, but I ask - why would anyone want to counterfeit a Trade Dollar in this day and age, when the Chinese are so keen and apt at counterfeiting more relevant coins? Has anyone ever heard of counterfeiting Trade Dollars, except a hundred plus years ago, when they were being used? I'm thinking they may indeed be real and no one really is interested in them because they're not 'real' dollars, like a Morgan or Peace for instance, or very little is known about their history.

Thank you all for the look-see. I hope to get some feed back, so I can settle this for myself.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say all or most are counterfeit. Trade Dollars are still very collectible and valuable and the onyl reason the Chinese counterfeited so many is because the US used them as trade to China, and they where never meant to be a US Dollar. Anyway, here's my picture and fact guides on countefeit silver dollars, Trade Dollars are about half way down the page http://coinauctionshelp.com/Counterfeit_Silver_Dollars_Fake_Trade_Dollars_Fake_Morgan_Dollar.html

Thanks for serving our country, if that's why you're in Afganistan!

OP
OP
airborne1092

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, CoinHelp! - I appreciate you chiming in. I'll peruse that info tonight! Your moniker alone makes me think I'll find all I need at the link! ;)

Anyone else like to add anything, I'll absorb it, too!

Thank you!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding is several Chinese outfits have been counterfeiting U.S. coins all along, still do Trade Dollars and the counterfeits are getting better all the time. I'd stay far away from those "deals".

Remember what they say about if it appears to be too good to be true. :icon_thumright:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In recent years Trade Dollars have probably been the most counterfeited US coin coming from China. I would be extremely surprised if there was one genuine one in the bunch.

OP
OP
airborne1092

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I checked again today. All of them seemed to be cupro-nickel and fairly light weight. None even came close to having even the dull luster of a Ag coin.

I may pick up a couple for my boys, as they're big, jingly and fun to play with. For me, they're more of a conversation piece. ;)

Thank you all for the insight! This is the first week I've had in the past 4 months to really get out and take a look around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread