Found a 1963 Belgium Coin in my Change Jar!

Desertvet

Nov 4, 2011
Apollo Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was going through my change jar today...and came upon this 1963 1 Franc, Belgium coin. It's in pretty nice shape, and I polished it up really nice. I looked it up, and one website is selling this coin for $12.00 (and mine is in MUCH better shape). Anyways, just wanted to share my find... Happy hunting, ya'll! :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• 1963 1 Franc (1).JPG
    1963 1 Franc (1).JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 940
  • 1963 1 Franc (Belgique).JPG
    1963 1 Franc (Belgique).JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,874

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, makes you wonder how it got there! Polishing a collectable coin ruins the value, but I don't think these are worth too much so not much harm done.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uncirculated lists for $0.50.
There are 2 different varieties; one says "Belgique" and the other says "Belgie." Both have the same value.
Those have a "coin alignment" meaning that if you hold the coin on the sides and flip it over to the back, top to bottom, the reverse will be upside down.
In 1963 (and some other years) some of the "Belgique" varieties were minted with a "Medal Alignment" meaning if you flip the coin top to bottom, the reverse would be right side up. This variety is listed at $3 VF, $9 XF and $20 UNC.

Best,
Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread