Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,
Like everyone else on this particular forum, I love coins and the study of numistics (sic?)/numismatics. Obviously it would take years of study and a devoted life time to become an expert even in one particular field of a specific coin denomination (or era). I was curious if there were any "schools" or places of study for the "novice?" Just wondering how the expert graders get to be expert graders? I know that many community colleges (at least in my area) have classes in precious stones/jewelry, but I have never seen a college offer a "Coins 101" course.

I just think it would be fun and highly informative.

apush :read2:

Abt12

Greenie
Nov 27, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a few places that offer courses, like this one from the American Numismatic Association:

http://www.money.org/Content/NavigationMenu/ExploretheWorldofMoney/Education/default.htm

There are also universities out there that have awarded Bachelors and PhD's in numismatics, but it isn't a generally offered course track from what I could find. After reading the profiles of a lot of those in the industry, experience and self-guided research have been the main qualifications!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Learn by doing. Find and read every book you can on the subject. You'll be amazed at what you can teach yourself if you put your mind to it.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red James cash said:
Learn by doing. Find and read every book you can on the subject. You'll be amazed at what you can teach yourself if you put your mind to it.

I agree - read, read, read. Also consider a subscription to Coin World. It is a weekly paper with lots of information for new collectors. also consider joining a local coin club. You can get lots of information from fellow collectors and maybe even a mentor who will assist you in gaining knowledge. You might even be able to find someone to agree to teach a class at the local community college or adult education program.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread