Found a Dime, Worth more than $.10?

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
IMAG0518.jpg

Sorry, my 8 MPx Cell Phone Camera doesnt zoom up close very well, hopefully this is clear enough. Seems to be a weird strike, caught my eye.

The letters and the 8 all ride the rim. Compared to other dimes, the rimming isnt as pronounced. Half the W in 'We Trust' is gone off the side of the rim.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Hard to tell from this angle, but it does appear to be centered pretty good. Have you checked the thickness with another dime?

It almost looks like it was struck on an undersized planchet?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It is a broadstrike error. It is very minor so don't expect a huge premium (perhaps a $1 at most). The collar in the minting process was unseated thus not containing the planchet and the resulting metal flow when the dies were pressed. The broadstrikes that carry the largest premium are ones where the collar was absent in the minting process. The result is a larger diameter coin with mushy details around the entire perimeter.

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't appear to be a broadstrike - the reeding is present, indicating the collar was in place during striking. To me it just looks like a really worn die (no extra value). As far as the lettering being so close to the rim, I think it's just die spread.

Every time the master hub is used to make a master die, it gets squashed out a tiny bit. After several years, the whole design is spread out slightly, and in some cases, the lettering merges with the rim. A new master hub is cut every several years to correct for this and wear on the hub, which is why some years look like this, and other years look more nice and crisp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread