Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...now that you've picked yourself off the floor. Yes, I know they are high pressure tonic oil salesmen. But I am curious about a couple of things.

How in the heck do they have graded 2012 Silver Eagles when these coins haven't been issued yet?

My understanding is that it costs roughly $40 to have a coin graded and slabbed...yet they've got new ASE MS-69 at $59.00???

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
You and I pay the high rate. The large dealers/brokers pay a volume rate. The 2012 are available and already in dealers hands which implies the minting was done in December. I pick up my yearly Eagle update at FUN show which starts tomorrow.

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gee if you listen to those tv guys it would take the combined power of every diety mankind has ever prayed to and the Super Friends to get one of those coins prior to the stated release date.

Thanks for the info. Have fun at the FUN Show.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The United States Mint will begin sales of the 2012-dated American Gold Eagle and American Silver Eagle bullion coins to authorized purchasers on January 3, 2012. The newly dated versions available each year are eagerly anticipated by many collectors.

Bullion products of the United States Mint are distributed through a network of authorized purchasers. These AP’s are able to place orders for bullion coins directly with the Mint in bulk quantities at prices based on the market price of the precious metal plus a fixed or percentage mark up. The bullion coins are then resold to secondary retailers or in some cases directly to the public. The AP’s are also responsible for establishing a two way market for the US Mint’s bullion coins.

At the authorized purchaser level, the minimum ordering requirement is 25,000 coins for Silver Eagles and 1,000 ounces for Gold Eagles. The premium charged for Silver Eagles is $2.00 per coin above the market value of the silver content, based on the London Fix on the first business day following the order. The premiums for Gold Eagles are 3%, 5%, 7%, 9% for the one ounce, half ounce, quarter ounce, and tenth ounce coins respectively.

http://news.coinupdate.com/gold-and-silver-eagle-bullion-coins-1125/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread