New Old

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Haven't posted for some time. I still take the opportunity to hit the highlights here, however 'cause this site is amazing. I have learned so much from here on a huge variety of things.
Here is a great example...

Was out swinging the MD on my favorite old home site and hitting it hard. I was digging some 'iffy' signals, because the ground has taken a couple rains here lately and is relaxing its' grip. Makes digging somewhat easier.

Anyway I had pulled 2 1876 CC seated dimes previously from here and knew it had more to give. Those dimes were my oldest coins found to date.

Well last weekend I pulled a shield nickel. All Right! The problem was the date as well as most all other details seemed forever lost to corrosion. Only the 5, a few stars and a vague shield with bars were visible.

That is until I found a cleaning tip here. The old worcestershire soak. The coin has been soaking since last night and is now giving up its date. Unbelievable detail is now visible. Shaved 8 years off the old record....

Now my "New Old"..... 1868 Shield Nickel.

Happy digging to all.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I'd never heard of "The old worcestershire soak", so you have passed on your newly found knowledge. Congrats on the coinage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread