Fair price for common date Morgans and Peace dollars?

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check eBay.

OP
OP
S

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one has any other advice beyond "check ebay"? I am a bit surprised.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Just my opinion. I'd think $5 over spot would be well worth it, depending on condition.

Any larger coin will command a premium on the metal content.

Condition is the other big factor. Even common date Morgans and Peace dollars in MS20 can be more.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't pay $5.00 over spot for any silver coin unless it was BU or has an numismatic value.( You don't pay that much over spot for AE's, Slabs, Rounds, usually $3.00 max from the big companies) Morgans and Peace dollars are 90% silver and if you go to www.coinflation.com you will get an idea of what you will pay for it plus the $5.00 you are quoting. On ebay they are paying well over spot for them but that seller is paying fees also and usually shipping.

Bottom line, get them as cheaply as you can before Silver heads back up again. :thumbsup:

CoinSituation

Greenie
Aug 11, 2010
I have seen lately that a lot of dealers are stuck with silver dollars they bought when silver was in the $30-35 range/oz. Natuarally they are looking to keep a healthy profit margin. I would hold out for buying at a show and see what you can do there.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
At the local show last month I bought several nice Morgans and Peace dollars for $24 ea, good dates and not slicks. Kinda wish I'd loaded up with more. The local dealers here want $30 ea.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up 2 Morgans and 1 Peace today for $20 a pop at a garage sale. He wanted $25 but I talked him down. The 1879 O may rate a vf 20 or better. The other two are badly worn. I'm still looking for a good source of Morgans and Peace dollars. I don't want to pay more than $3 over myself.
I'm gonna go for silver rounds from here-
http://silvergoldbull.com/silver-bullion/1oz-buffalo-silver-round-35.html for only $2.55 over spot, when you figure in shipping for 20 of them.
The more you buy the cheaper it is.
If you buy 100 of them it's only $1.50 over spot after shipping.
Or just get a 100 oz. bar and it's only $1.33 over spot.
I'd rather pay the extra 17 cents I think, because I could get a better premium on individual oz.'s versus a 100oz. bar, if I chose to sell them on Ebay in the future, but that's just me.

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Siver dollars have a much higher premium demand than other 90% coin. They want to sell them to you 5-7 over spot, but when you sell them back they only want to pay you spot. This is why I buy Half Dollars instead of Silver Dollars. My dealer charges me 1.00 over spot/melt value, per $1 face value. Which I think is fair. After all, he does get an electric bill to pay. ... It works out about the same value as getting silver rounds for 1.50 over Silver spot price. A roll of 20 Franklins, today Jan. 21, would run me $ 243. But we just had a spike in Silver price.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Presently, if you can buy a silver dollar for $30 or less than you should buy it, unless they have a lot of wear, the value is not going down despite silver prices. A lot of wear, to me, is a coin with the deticles worn near smooth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread