1909 s vdb

thudson

Apr 7, 2006
Nebraska Panhandle
Just wondering if anyone could tell me how to tell if a coin of this date is authentic ? I will be looking at one tommorrow to bid on and it is not slabbed. It is coming out of a can of coins left to be auctioned off. So I really cant ask the owner to authenticate it. Would really like to own a coin of this rarity but don't want to purchase a reproduction . Any help would be appreciated . HH

OP
OP
thudson

thudson

Apr 7, 2006
Nebraska Panhandle
Thanks for the link. It is at a little hometown auction this evening so I will have to go take a real close look. I am thinking if I can get it for about 3-4 hundred in good shape I will probably take it. I will probably hold on to it If I can get it bought. Does that sound like a reasonable price? Thanks

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I don't think Auctions will guarantee authenticity of anything! It's strictly Caveat Emptor! EF Specimens are going for roughly $950!

I don't know what to tell you except look for Obvious Fakes, like glued on S. It's your Decision! Good Luck!

Joe

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look very close at the "s". There are examples where the s was added to a regular 1909 vdb to deceive.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thudson said:
Thanks for the link. It is at a little hometown auction this evening so I will have to go take a real close look. I am thinking if I can get it for about 3-4 hundred in good shape I will probably take it. I will probably hold on to it If I can get it bought. Does that sound like a reasonable price? Thanks

Yeah, that's not a bad loss if it does turn out to be fake, but on the other hand if it is real, and it's in great shape you could be looking at an instant 500% profit or more. The chances are though, if it was just in a roll of change or something that some guy had laying around his house that it's real. It's really hard to say. I agree checking the "S" if you can. See if you find any signs of soldering. It's really hard to tell fakes unless you know what your looking for though.

OP
OP
thudson

thudson

Apr 7, 2006
Nebraska Panhandle
Well down to the auction I went, sad to report there was no s vdb coin to be seen. They had the cents in a Whitman folder and the coins were all over.Hardly any in the right spots. The s vdb actually turned out to be a 1919s so no joy in Whoville. All of the coins did look authentic as no one would make copys of coins that worn. There was a 1909 s but was very worn , may grade good. So all the excitement for nothing , but did buy some good coins none the less. Thanks for the advice and thanks djui5 for the links. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions