Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two Lincoln Cent questions...hope I don't come off as having a blond moment

Has the composition or making process changed for U.S. Cents? While coin roll hunting I’ve noticed a large number of 2009-present cents that just look horrible. Some with peeled copper, others with horrible discoloration (not patina) and other post mint damage. I don’t see this in the 1982-2008 cents.

How quickly will the Memorial Cents disappear, or become a minority coin, in circulation now that we have the shield cents? By time I really started paying attention to money, wheats hadn’t been made for 14 years and you didn’t get them very often in change.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Two Lincoln Cent questions...hope I don't come off as having a blond moment

The composition has not changed. As for the manufacturing process, I'm not sure but they probably would take any cost cutting steps they could like most manufacturers these days.

I have noticed the what you mention though, seems quality has come way down on the One Cent piece.

As for Memorial Cents disappearing. I still search boxes of Cents for older coins and for copper Cents. I average about 28% copper, that is with the zinc Cent being out for 30 years now and folks pulling copper all along. Personally, I believe we'll see the demise of the One Cent before we see the Memorial Cent disappear.

All that said, I don't keep any of the zinc Cents anymore. Initially I saved a roll or two of high grade pieces and placed some in quality albums. Virtually all of them from '82 on have suffered discoloration, some type of reaction, making them worthless as collector pieces. I despise the zinc Cent.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Two Lincoln Cent questions...hope I don't come off as having a blond moment

DigginThePast said:
The composition has not changed. As for the manufacturing process, I'm not sure but they probably would take any cost cutting steps they could like most manufacturers these days.

I have noticed the what you mention though, seems quality has come way down on the One Cent piece.

As for Memorial Cents disappearing. I still search boxes of Cents for older coins and for copper Cents. I average about 28% copper, that is with the zinc Cent being out for 30 years now and folks pulling copper all along. Personally, I believe we'll see the demise of the One Cent before we see the Memorial Cent disappear.

All that said, I don't keep any of the zinc Cents anymore. Initially I saved a roll or two of high grade pieces and placed some in quality albums. Virtually all of them from '82 on have suffered discoloration, some type of reaction, making them worthless as collector pieces. I despise the zinc Cent.

Zincolns be cursed! :whip2:
They need to do one of two things; either get rid of the one cent piece all together or make them out of plastic.
A lot Cheaper than zinc and a lot lighter to tote around by the roll. :thumbsup:

1 cent picuyane.jpg

Best,
Scott​

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread