apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to add a 1973-S Ike Proof to my collection. Looking at the Red Book (2010), I see the following:

"1973S, Silver Clad . . . (1,013,646) . . . 1,883,140 . . . . "

Is the first number the amount of silver proof coins minted while the second number refers to the number of silver (non-proof) coins minted?

While viewing ebay I have noticed that the 1973-S (Brown) is somewhat higher in cost/premium as compared to the 1971,1972, & 1974.

Just want to be a bit more informed. Thank you for any input or pearls of wisdom.

apush :read2:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Correct, APUSH. First mintage is the proof (Brown Pack Ikes), and the second mintage is the business strikes (Blue Pack Ikes). The 73 S Ike will be higher as the supply is limited compared to other years. The Mint in all their wisdom flooded the market initially with a hefty premium. Soon after, the secondary market sustained lower prices than what the customers originally paid from the Mint. Consequently, customers took a loss and didn't eagerly want to take another loss in subsequent issues. The result is that fewer were sold and carries a higher premium, today.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you as always Diver_Down. :icon_sunny: