Please grade 1899 five dollar gold

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
A friend recently found this coin in his house. I have a chance to buy it. What would You grade it at?

Also, is there a filled die error above the "N" in UNITED?

goldf.JPG
goldb.JPG

Thanks!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not a rare date and does not command a premium until you get up into the uncirculated grades, which clearly this coin is circulated. Actually the 1899 is said to be one of the issues most often found in uncirculated condition.

Therefore, it is my opinion that the value lies in the gold content which coinflation.com puts at $419.37 at the time of this writing.

There does appear to be a slight die crack above that N, looks that way to me anyway. I don't think it would add any real value though.

All that said, I like coins with some wear. Shows history. :icon_thumright: That coin has decent eye appeal to me. If it could be had for melt value I'd go for it.

As for an actual grade, maybe VF to XF.

OP
OP
Kevo_DFX

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
I just bought this, 39 silver dimes, 13 silver quarters, 2 40% halves, and 77 wheaties for $500.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did quite well, about $100 total under spot at today's prices. Fair to him too being he found the gold. Everyone is happy...a good deal. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread