Need help with roman coin

daibhi5

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2009
I received this coin as a gift after subscribing to an archaeology magazine. Apparently the coin is from around the 4th century AD. I've been looking at various websites trying to figure out what coin it is but haven't had any success. Anyone out there know what coin this is?

Thank you in advance
David

Attachments

• coin front.jpg
    coin front.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 553
  • coin back.jpg
    coin back.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 576

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I know that there are some experts on Roman coins in the "Today's Finds" section. Try to post it there, even though it may get moved from there. However, you can specify you want it there so that the mods won't move it.

OP
OP
D

daibhi5

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2009
Thank you LaZoOro. I saw the "XPV" on the reverse and thought it related to Helena but none of the coins I saw had the same obverse portrait. To me, the person on the front looks make and the line/band (not sure what its called) is more horizontal on the head (back to front) whereas on the link you posted, that line/band is more at a 45 degree angle. Knowing its a Helena coin should help narrow it down now.

OP
OP
D

daibhi5

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2009
I subscribed to Minerva Magazine and no they didn't ID the coin. I had a choice between the coin and some videos so I went with the coin. I'm going to have access to a better camera tomorrow so I'll take some higher quality photos at that time. Want to see if it can pick up some more info that would help me ID the exact coin.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
daibhi5 said:
I subscribed to Minerva Magazine and no they didn't ID the coin. I had a choice between the coin and some videos so I went with the coin. I'm going to have access to a better camera tomorrow so I'll take some higher quality photos at that time. Want to see if it can pick up some more info that would help me ID the exact coin.

Good choice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread