burned morgan silver dollar

beervestor

Jan 23, 2012
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mom just recently gave my a Morgan silver dollar that looks to be severely burned. She works at a bank and a customer came in with it and she got it. There was some bad wildfires down here a couple years back and alot of people lost there collections.

I was wondering if the silver content would still be there even if its burned, its still really heavy. thanks :headbang:

OP
OP
B

beervestor

Jan 23, 2012
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its hard to see the date it looks like 1881 but i cant make out the last 2 digits it looks like a 81 but it only shows the top half. ill get a pic up in a minute

OP
OP
B

beervestor

Jan 23, 2012
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its really smooth haha and hard to see the date

lol dont see why the pics came out so big

Attachments

• Stuff to sell 009edit.JPG
    Stuff to sell 009edit.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 655
  • Stuff to sell 008edit.JPG
    Stuff to sell 008edit.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 721

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
beervestor said:
haha do you guys think its worth anything other then silver melt?

If it has the mintmark CC, it has some value over face even in this condition. The other ones are just melt. The mintmark is below the wreath on the back.

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like 1885? Maybe 1887 or 1881? 1880-something. If it's a 1881-CC, 1885-CC or 1889-CC it might be worth something more than melt...

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/prices/mordlr/pricesgd.shtml

That gives you an idea of price - it would be worth a lot less than G4 values, but some of the rare dates are worth something in *any* condition. It might be worth something to a low-ball collector too, assuming the date and mintmark can be identified. A low-ball collector tries to assemble the ugliest, most worn set possible (and damaging a coin on purpose would be cheating, of course).

A dip in acetone might remove some of the charring without risking further damage. It has to be pure acetone - nail polish remover WILL NOT DO.

OP
OP
B

beervestor

Jan 23, 2012
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sagittarius98 said:
beervestor said:
haha do you guys think its worth anything other then silver melt?

If it has the mintmark CC, it has some value over face even in this condition. The other ones are just melt. The mintmark is below the wreath on the back.

Ya I cant see the mint mark :/

OP
OP
B

beervestor

Jan 23, 2012
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
captainfwiffo said:
Looks like 1885? Maybe 1887 or 1881? 1880-something. If it's a 1881-CC, 1885-CC or 1889-CC it might be worth something more than melt...

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/prices/mordlr/pricesgd.shtml

That gives you an idea of price - it would be worth a lot less than G4 values, but some of the rare dates are worth something in *any* condition. It might be worth something to a low-ball collector too, assuming the date and mintmark can be identified. A low-ball collector tries to assemble the ugliest, most worn set possible (and damaging a coin on purpose would be cheating, of course).

A dip in acetone might remove some of the charring without risking further damage. It has to be pure acetone - nail polish remover WILL NOT DO.

Hmmm maybe ill try dipping it in, need to look for some acetone

OP
OP
B

beervestor

Jan 23, 2012
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wiffo thanks for the price guide, dang those morgans can really get up there in price haha wish this one was in mint condition lol

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
beervestor said:
lastleg said:
That's the kind I like to fix up. Usually I can restore blackened coins.

how do you restore this coin without ruining its value? lol :blob7:

In this condition, it is just worth melt. Therefore, you can't "ruin" it's value.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't be sure, but it doesn't look burnt. I dug an 1887 near an old church that burned in 1900. The Morgan that I dug had been burnt/scorched and came out of the ground looking like a rusty iron disk. It took a lot of work to clean it up, not a slick, but not much value over melt. I first boiled it in a water-baking soda-tinfoil combo, then rubbed it with a little spit and dull side of tinfoil. Sounds bad, but like I said not much value over melt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions