sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Some people will hoard them thinking that they are valuable in the same idea they think that state quarters are valuable. I also see less of them, and decided to keep them in order to have some to trade for foreign coins from people around the world.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I think people tend to hoard anything that's "different" with the hope that it will be valuable many years from now. Of course that has exactly the opposite effect because many years from now there will still be millions of them around in perfect condition. Anybody wanna buy some Bicentennial quarters ? The good thing about hoarding any kind of pocket change is that it will always be worth face value so there's nothing lost.

LatrellLayer

Feb 19, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the future of the pennies is that it wll become cheaper because its production cost will become cheap too. The penny and nickel coins are a money pit, as both coins cost double their face value to make. That is why the Obama budget is calling for the composition of the coins to be modified to save cash, and finally deliver some change we can believe in. Obama calls for lower cost of making pennies and nickels :hello2:

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These won't last forever though, the metal on many of these seems to be eroding and breaking down at an alarming rate. The zinc seems to react to uman contact and make the coin disentigrate. I have found coins 50 years old that are in better shape than the majority of the 2009 coins. That being said, I keep all of the '09s that I find.

JOE-DIRTDIGGER

Jan 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SORRY FOR MY IGNORANCE, BUT I MISSED SOMETHING, WHAT IS THE STORY ON THE 2009 PENNY

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I also never heard of anything like this. I know the 1983 or so and newer pennies are zinc that is copper plated, but what is the deal with 2009? I dint know there was any deal with them.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
jarlbartar said:
These won't last forever though, the metal on many of these seems to be eroding and breaking down at an alarming rate. The zinc seems to react to uman contact and make the coin disentigrate. I have found coins 50 years old that are in better shape than the majority of the 2009 coins. That being said, I keep all of the '09s that I find.

I have not seen as destroyed coins, but once found a penny that was mistaken as a piece of plastic or slug due to its condition and was put in a trash pile. Cleaned it, half of it was swallowed into a hole in the coin. Date : 198?. Definitely zinc. If I didn't know anything about coins, I would think that might be from Colonial times. Thankfully, the penny went through a coin machine, so I could get rid of it fast.

ixer

Dec 11, 2011
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 & White's XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was under the impression that the 2009 Penny was also made of the same 95% Copper alloy mix as the 1909 Penny, i read that somewhere but now cannot find the article.

*edit, this is only for the proofs not for normal circulation pennies. Sorry for the misinformation.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
OUTLAW75 said:
SORRY FOR MY IGNORANCE, BUT I MISSED SOMETHING, WHAT IS THE STORY ON THE 2009 PENNY
They are the same junk composition as all the modern Zinc pennies made since 1982 and will corrode away to nothing just as fast. The reason people are saving that year in particular is that there were 4 different reverse designs used to comemmorate the 100 year anniversary of the Lincoln Cent. It's the same reason people hoarded the Bicentennial coins from 1976 even though there were billions minted. Simply because they are different & a 1 year only design. As I said in my earlier post, if anything, they will be worth less because so many brand new examples are being put away. If I had $500 worth of them to do anything I wanted to with I'd run right down to the local coin shop & spend them all on some nice Seated Liberty coins or something like that that were never hoarded in any quantity and are sure to go up in value. I've been collecting coins for over 40 years and my current strategy when I have some spare cash is to buy coins that are already old enough that they aren't affected by the rollercoaster scrap silver market and ones that fill the holes in my collection. Just my 2 corroded cents worth.. The 2009 proof cents are 95% Copper, the rest are the usual crap. http://news.coinupdate.com/2009-lincoln-bicentennial-one-cent-proof-set-on-sale-at-the-us-mint/ :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread