dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help ID'ing error description on these halves. "IBER" and "ERICA" halves

So I'm calling these two coins my "IBER" half and my "ERICA" centennial half (so close to MERICA heh). Both of these have undergone a very poor stamp or a grease filled die or something like that?. Both seem unique but I would like some opinions as to what to call these if I were to sell them on feebay. Found them CRH'ing a while ago.

Looking back I see BuffaloBoy found a similar "BERT" coin: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=426767.0

Here's the "IBER" half: (no reverse photo, nothing completely faded, just partials on back, dirt clump to the left of the B removed with fingernail post photo)
GW0i8.jpg

Here's the "ERICA" half:
2p4MY.jpg

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Re: Need help ID'ing error description on these halves. "IBER" and "ERICA" halves

Your first one is a strike-through grease. The second - I'm not sure you have the real thing. The wear on the obverse doesn't match-up with the other details present. The date, motto, liberty are all evident with some wear, yet the head of Kennedy is totally obliterated so much that only the inner ear is visible. It doesn't mesh. The reverse - well it might be considered a strike-through grease also, but the first impulse when I saw the reverse picture is that it is a Magician coin. The outer seam looks evident. Perhaps, it is only photo distorted lighting, but my first instinct was that it was a Magician coin.

OP
OP
dossier

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Need help ID'ing error description on these halves. "IBER" and "ERICA" halves

I always respect your opinions DD. No surprises with the IBER :icon_thumright:

But I am a little diappointed about your appraisal of the erica coin. I'm 95% sure that it isn't a magicians coin, although that would explain the wear on the face. I've seen the rims of those coins (not in person) but it looks like a completely normal rim and not a magicians coin. I tried doing the scotch/soda clenching between my palms. I don't have a mason jar to shake it in unfortunately. Regarding the 'wear' not matching up, why couldn't there be grease in the center and slightly over the 'in god' part? It is a very odd coin, under the Y on the obverse there's a section of the coin where the metal looks different, I thought I've seen something like 'satin coat error.' Even if it were a magician's coin there are some parts that don't seem worn at all on both sides. I don't see how it could be worn down post mint like that.

edit: I did adjust the levels to give it a higher contrast in the erica coin, DD. I also desaturated it some to get rid of that gold color.

edit2: Here's the rim of the 'erica' coin.
S2J94.jpg

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

My reputation precedes me, in this case, you know that I've handled hundreds of thousands of Kennedy halves. I've seen plenty of strike-through grease errors and the majority are located around the rim. That being said, your rim in your updated photo depicts the bright copper rim absent of the usual dinge/grime that is typical of a circulated coin. You are correct on the reverse with regards to crisp detail adjacent to obliterated detail.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread