Would you buy a NGC AU grade Improperly cleaned gold coin?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Really depends what you are meaning.

Of course an NGC improperly cleaned coin will affect its value and therefore you cannot look at the AU column of a price sheet and expect to resell even close to that because those are for coins that aren't cleaned.

But what it really comes down to is what are you buying it for? As an investment, IMO, its a pretty poor choice. Collectors of early US gold generally have pretty deep pockets and when you are spending $4,000 on a coin, it makes sense for them to spend the extra $700-800 and get an undamaged specimen.

For your own personal collection it just comes down to if you like the coin or not. I know at least for me, I'd rather have a coin with some character and get it at a slight discount than getting a boring complete mint state coin. If you like it enough for the price, go for it :icon_thumright:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really depends on the severity of the cleaning, it may have been rubbed with a soft cloth, or 80 grit sandpaper.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l.cutler said:
It really depends on the severity of the cleaning, it may have been rubbed with a soft cloth, or 80 grit sandpaper.

yep, same goes with silver. It's one thing if it shines, but quite another if there's deep scratches visible. So it basically comes down to eye appeal how much you might get over melt or under book. I have had many silver coins over the years that look like they did have the sandpaper treatment!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread