Just found a 138 year old coin. Sitting at the bottom of my foreign coin box.

CRHgiggidy

Greenie
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mom used to get me coins from various countries when her and my father went on vacations. Nothing special, just random change that they would get while there. I put it all in a tiny box and literally forgot about it until recently since I have been getting into CRH. All of the stuff is pretty standard but I found these 3 coins while going through and I was amazed. I have no idea how or when I put them in the box but I'm glad I did. I'm very curious about the Canadian 5 cent piece and the 5 cent piece from Argentina. I'm really just wondering about the rarity and value of each. Sorry this isn't CRH relevant, but I still wanted to share with you guys.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
the coin of the left is a dateless U.S. Standing Liberty quarter - it's silver and currently worth about $6! :icon_thumright:

Someone else will have to help you with the other two coins - I don't know too much about foreign coins.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
CRHgiggidy said:
My mom used to get me coins from various countries when her and my father went on vacations. Nothing special, just random change that they would get while there. I put it all in a tiny box and literally forgot about it until recently since I have been getting into CRH. All of the stuff is pretty standard but I found these 3 coins while going through and I was amazed. I have no idea how or when I put them in the box but I'm glad I did. I'm very curious about the Canadian 5 cent piece and the 5 cent piece from Argentina. I'm really just wondering about the rarity and value of each. Sorry this isn't CRH relevant, but I still wanted to share with you guys.

This is CRH. Your parents just didn't realize it. :icon_sunny:

The Canadian Nickel is 92.5% silver 1.14g ASW.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: The large coin on the left is a American Standing Liberty quarter. They replaced the Barber/Liberty Head quarter in 1916 & were replaced by the Washington quarter in 1932. Yours has the date worn off, that is a big problem with them like the buffalo nickel. The quarter is worth the silver value. I don't know anything about the 2 foreign coins. Hope this helps.

HH

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
madwest said:
CRHgiggidy said:

I would just like to say that is not a nickel as it contains no actual nickel and no wear on the coin does it say the word "nickel".
Any way I looked up the Canadian 5 cent piece and the Argentinian 5 centavos coins. Due to numismatic value the Canadian 5 cent piece from 1874 that you have there is worth about $12 and the Argentinian coin is only worth something like 25¢.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
That Canadian Guy said:
madwest said:

I would just like to say that is not a nickel as it contains no actual nickel and no wear on the coin does it say the word "nickel".
Any way I looked up the Canadian 5 cent piece and the Argentinian 5 centavos coins. Due to numismatic value the Canadian 5 cent piece from 1874 that you have there is worth about $12 and the Argentinian coin is only worth something like 25¢.

So, don't call it a nickel then. But you better not call a 1951-1954 Canadian 5-cent coin a nickel either - because no wear [sic] on it does it say "Nickel" and it contains no nickel. ::)

At the time of its minting, it was patterned after the US half-dime. The US coin actually stated that it was a half-dime rather than 5-cent. The Canadian coin design stated 5-cent.

Half-Dimes AIN'T nickels; US cents AIN'T pennies; Eisenhower dollars AIN'T silver dollars; "AIN'T" isn't a word and we're just all in this for fun.

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ckrakowski said:
where are the pics?
Pics were probably removed by the MOD or OP because the cell phone they were taken with captured the geo-coordinates where the images were taken and added it to the metadeta of the files. Obviously, thats not the kind of information you want available when you're on a forum about all the different forms of TREASURE :)

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you repost the pictures properly? I would love to see the coins :headbang:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
shanegalang said:
Can you repost the pictures properly? I would love to see the coins :headbang:

Under this post, I will post pics of the coins he/she had, but not exactly his/her coins. The coins will be of similar condition as the op's coins.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 546
  • _5353879.jpg
    _5353879.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 635
  • 5_centavos_1949.jpg
    5_centavos_1949.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 559

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread