Is this buffalo nickel an error of some kind?

checkman

Dec 11, 2011
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, 10x12SEF, Sunray x-5
Garrett AT-Pro & Propointer
Teknetiks Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• 1920BuffOBVa.JPG
    1920BuffOBVa.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 459
  • 1920BufREVa.JPG
    1920BufREVa.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 459

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that the ground may have been acidic eating away some of the coin.

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
When the coins are viewed in the xray mode, it looks to me like the obverse and the reverse are from two different buffalo nickels. The lettering condition on the obverse seems very different from the reverse. It's probably just an illusion of lighting, but the obverse lettering appears to be almost indented (as if it were a mold).

Attachments

• buffalo inv.jpg
    buffalo inv.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 428
OP
OP
C

checkman

Dec 11, 2011
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, 10x12SEF, Sunray x-5
Garrett AT-Pro & Propointer
Teknetiks Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I assure you that both pictures are of the same nickel. The letters do look indented on the obverse. Also, there are those horizontal bands. Could this be a "lamination error?" Here is a better pic of the obverse:

Attachments

• 1920BuffOBVb.JPG
    1920BuffOBVb.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 410

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
checkman said:
I assure you that both pictures are of the same nickel. The letters do look indented on the obverse. Also, there are those horizontal bands. Could this be a "lamination error?" Here is a better pic of the obverse:

The surface looks really weird and looks like it may have been struck in a mold like AB said. My red book says that a lamination error for a buf nickel is only $25, but probably not in this condition. I think the only pure indicator of telling what it is is to clean it further, maybe using this method

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=321381.0;

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's how all my buff's look coming acid soil conditions.

The horizontal striations are from grass, roots, sticks, etc. that were stuck to the coin just after it was lost. Whatever was stuck to the coin offered some protection from the environment.

As far as cleaning goes, it's condition is "toast" anyway so brush it softly with a fine bristle brass brush. I've been doing mine that way and they've turned out better than expected. The brass bristles are softer than the metal composition of the nickel so it doesn't really harm them.

HOWEVER, if it's a key date in really nice condition, have it professionally conserved.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
That's how all my buff's look coming acid soil conditions.

The horizontal striations are from grass, roots, sticks, etc. that were stuck to the coin just after it was lost. Whatever was stuck to the coin offered some protection from the environment.

As far as cleaning goes, it's condition is "toast" anyway so brush it softly with a fine bristle brass brush. I've been doing mine that way and they've turned out better than expected. The brass bristles are softer than the metal composition of the nickel so it doesn't really harm them.

HOWEVER, if it's a key date in really nice condition, have it professionally conserved.

Or you can use the method I posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions