question on a "strike through".... mercury dime.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Hello all, I am hoping someone can help me out here, I am looking at a mercury dime, it is a MS66 FB graded by NGC. The thing I dont get is that it has some very obvious strike through on the obverse of the coin. Is that such a common error that NGC wouldnt even mention it on the slab? I just dont get why it wouldnt say anything about it.

I am also wondering if that type of issue adds value, or takes value away or what??? thanks.

Chris.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I am hoping someone can help me out here, I am looking at a mercury dime, it is a MS66 FB graded by NGC. The thing I dont get is that it has some very obvious strike through on the obverse of the coin. Is that such a common error that NGC wouldnt even mention it on the slab? I just dont get why it wouldnt say anything about it.

I am also wondering if that type of issue adds value, or takes value away or what??? thanks.

Chris.

An image would help, and NGC will not grade it as an error unless is submitted as a mint error submission.. So this isn't an uncommon occurence. The added value, if attributed as a strike through, should be weighed against the cost of a mint error resubmission. It's often not worth the trouble or fees.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions