nickel die error3.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 501

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I believe you have an Off-Center Second Strike Over and Off-Center First Strike, or III-L-4. I can see part of LIBERTY 1999 along the rim right of the second (final) strike. Bottom strike appears right of center, top strike appears to be left of center. My 2006 US Coin Values suggests prices of $10 and up. I don't know whether that would be higher today or not.

OP
OP
JOE-DIRTDIGGER

JOE-DIRTDIGGER

Jan 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for that info. Did you get that from the red book or another source

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
I don't see the other strike. I think it's either a severely Mis-aligned Obverse Die (MAD) depending on what the reverse looks like. If the reverse is off center, it is then a minor off center. Either way, I don't think it's worth more than $4-5.

-Paul

OP
OP
JOE-DIRTDIGGER

JOE-DIRTDIGGER

Jan 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here are some reveres pics, i dont notice anything wrong on the back, thanks for the input so far

Attachments

• error nickel reverse1.jpg
    error nickel reverse1.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 918
  • error nickel2.jpg
    error nickel2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 318
  • error nickel3.jpg
    error nickel3.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 337

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think its worth grading because grading costs fore than 5-10 dollars.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
The reverse shows some doubling in the UM of UNUM. Notice that there are complete rims of the reverse, but not obverse. To me that strongly points to being double-struck at least. Also, the reverse strike is poor, something that should have been much clearer after multiple strikes. Perhaps there was grease on the entire face of the reverse?

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
The reverse shows some doubling in the UM of UNUM. Notice that there are complete rims of the reverse, but not obverse. To me that strongly points to being double-struck at least. Also, the reverse strike is poor, something that should have been much clearer after multiple strikes. Perhaps there was grease on the entire face of the reverse?

There is no doubling. It is a MAD error as I mentioned before. Worth a few dollars at most. If it were double struck you would see that the reverse is just as off-center as the obverse and you'd see much stronger evidence of doubling. I see absolutely none.

-Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread