OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
The Sony I'm looking at now is an FD-95, at 2.1 megapixel, I'd think the model number would be much higher, guess not though. I remember seeing Sony's on Ebay used for $300-700... just saw another one in the paper for $80.

I'm also looking at a pair of Olympus SLR digitals in an auction, retail was $3000 each. Bid starts at $50 ;D .

J

JDSCOIN

It looks to me to be an 'manufactured' item. That is, something akin to a magician's coin. In fact, perhaps that is what it was made that way for.

If you or anyone else here is familiar with the kind of magician's coins that I am talking about then it may occur to you that 'yes', that's right, they DID make coins like this to use as tricks. Cents that were made to be like this were used so that one side would appear to be a CENT while the other side would show a DIME.

I looked at the edge and it appears to be shiny, and even slightly rough - as if it had been ground down. Notice that the surfaces appear to have patina, but the edge looks different (shiny, without patina).

Someone had mentioned that it looks like it has been eaten away with acid. It would have been a regular cent which was put into acid to reduce its size and then further reduced around the edge so as to be dime-sized in preparation for its transformation into a magician's trick coin. Think about this and see if you don't think that each of these indications add up to this conclusion. Best regards,

JDSCOIN

W

willrich

please try to see my coin, simmular but a little different, it's a wheat cent 1955D
what's mine worth? I dunno the dimentions, but it doesn't have a rim, it's really thin, and sorta worn, but still looks vf in condition, zoom in on the pic's and you look ! message me back and lemme know what I got please

Attachments

• 1cent-7.jpg
    1cent-7.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 412
  • 1cent-5.jpg
    1cent-5.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 420
  • 1cent-3.jpg
    1cent-3.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 388
OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
JDSCOIN, I have doubts that this coin was ground down. One reason being... How could one grind a coin to make it thinner, without obliterating the raised stamping? As far as variation in the patina (and the apparent scratches across Lincoln's face)... I wrote earlier that this penny was found twice. My wife had to remind me... It somehow ended up in our water cooler jug of saved pocket change. When we eventually took all the coins to a CoinStar machine, this penny was among a few that were rejected. I kept running them through until the thin penny was among the two or three that CoinStar refused to accept. So, I believe, the scratches and lost patina were a result of five plus trips through coin counter.

Acid dipping- I understand how dipping would erode thickness while preserving the stamped features. But how would it be the edge disappeared without losing the other raised stampings?

It's not only thin at the edges, I took the measurement across the whole coin.

willrich- I initially hoped I'd discovered a small bonanza. But it's beginning to look like this isn't a completely rare occurance. Your post being the second to arise since I posted this. There's another thin penny post in this section, made since I started this one. Unless I miss the guess, $10 might be a high price for one of these in circulated condition. I'd like to be thousands of times wrong! ;D I'm hoping someone can prove me wrong. :P

W

willrich

note center picture at thinness, and size compared to the penny beside it for comparison.
I scanned these on my wonderful cannon usb scanner.
wasn't easy to get them 2 Penny's to stand on their edge lol
keep yer cent safe, and let's dig into this Dilemma further, and see what the other's gotta say, I knew some day, my Cent would be worth $ 1 day

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
willrich- Could you possibly weigh your penny for comparison? Maybe at the Post Office, if nowhere else. ???

W

willrich

a.s.a.p ...... I shall.
I know it's less weight then a standard penny.
what do you think of my pictures? need more ? any suggestions?
I'm a greenie when it comes to numismatics, but I still love this profession of detecting, and collecting.
keep yer ears and eyes open here and I'll add more about our billion dollor pennies. lol
I promise.
I got no scale here, but will find one .
I don't believe mine is acid dipped or even ground off,
I think we may have something

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Re: Your pics

If those are all scans, I'm pretty impressed.

If I get a billion, everyone in this post gets a very, very, nice gift from me! ;D

I'm new to numismatics myself, previously the most I've done was buying rolled pennies and hunting for wheats when I was in 5th grade. Some years ago I started watching for interesting coins and tossing them in a jar. (jar,... sure to make the purist cringe)

W

willrich

hey if you get a billion, what's that get me? lol
members devided by a billion equals what pluss my billion, devided by wear and tear and a few metal detecting batteries I had to replace and oh yeah, damn uncle sam gotta have his share, so I'm hopeing we'll all be set for life if , only if......

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have ;) Just took some measurement's....all diameter's match up...Thickness against the 66'(which was the thinnest) and a 44' and a 02' are as follow's...66'=0.042"..44'=0.062"..02'=0.058" at the smallest part of the rim......I don't know???

W

willrich

I ain't got no calipers, but tomorow or the next day's I'll try to get 'er weigh'd and keep feeding this thread with more info on our pennies, let me know if ya find anything out too, I'll be digging up dirt on theese bad boy lincoln's too.

(o:

Jenuone

Jun 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all new to this site.
Replying to this old post I came up to when searching. I found this 1918 Thin Lincoln Cent 1.1g
wondering what type of error? Has anyone figured this coin out? Any comments are welcome

Thanks 20210626_061655-2.jpg 20210626_054931-1.jpg 20210626_060255-1.jpg 20210626_061536-1.jpg [ATTACH=CONF

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all new to this site.
Replying to this old post I came up to when searching. I found this 1918 Thin Lincoln Cent 1.1g
wondering what type of error? Has anyone figured this coin out? Any comments are welcome

Thanks
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The 1974 aluminum cent was a one-cent coin proposed by the United States Mint in 1973. It was composed of an alloy of aluminum and trace metals, and intended to replace the predominantly copper?zinc cent due to the rising costs of coin production in the traditional bronze alloy. Wikipedia

Value: 0.01 US$

Years of minting: 1973 (dated 1974), 1974, 1975

Composition: 96% Aluminum with trace metals mixed in

Diameter: 19.05 mm (0.750 in)

Mass: 0.937 g (0.030 troy oz)

Thickness: 1.55 mm (0.061 in)

Edge: Plain/Smooth

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As other's have said, the OP's and your coin were exposed to acid at some time. Not an error.

Chriscoin

Feb 1, 2023
I'm curious as to what you found out about this thin penny cause I also have one super thin and has no noticeable alterations done to explain why it's so thin

Attachments

• 1675295309927374336679718753461.jpg
    1675295309927374336679718753461.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a quarter that was very thin... turns out it is an error stuck on dime stock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread