Do I have an error coin?

a312563

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a U.S. 5 ounce silver coin that has reeding 90% around the edge. 10% of the edge is perfectly smooth. Is this an error? If so how much might it be worth?

coin 001.JPG coin 002.JPG

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet. Unfortunately, there is no way to answer this question without a photo.
When you say "U.S. 5 ounce silver coin" you probably mean an "American Eagle" or perhaps an "America The Beautiful" series 5 oz. silver bullion round.

OP
OP
A

a312563

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about that. Here are some pics.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand corrected. You mean a .5 ounce coin not 5 ounce correct? I don't think they made a 5 ounce American eagle. Unfortunately whatever you have it was not produced by the U.S.Mint I don't believe. Therefore any error value is gone I do believe. Can anybody else help me out on this?

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet a312563. :hello:

I believe Diggummup is correct, your piece was not produced by the U.S. Mint. It is a silver round produced by an independent mint. I'm presuming it matches the 5 oz silver round in the photo I'm attaching. Notice the lack of $ denomination. I don't know for sure if it is an error or not but feel confident in saying you'd be hard pressed to find someone to pay a premium for an error by an independent mint.

Also, I'm moving this thread to a more appropriate Board as this one is for Forum specific help. :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• 2000FiveOunce.jpg
    2000FiveOunce.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 100

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread