1970s Small or Large Date Penny

dmaki1988

Apr 3, 2012
Gladstone MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, i had a few questions about the 1970s small date penny, i was wondering how common they are or if there is a lot of them in circulation. Ive been saving pennies for a while and i was wondering what the real difference is between the large and the small date and what is the typical value of the coin, i have 20 1970s pennies and i was just curious.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top of the 7 is level with the 0 in the date, plus the LIBERTY is usually weakly struck. If you post an image then it's easier to identify. The value depends on the grade and if the coin is red/orange or brown in toning.

Dwight D

Mar 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1970s small or large?

The top of the 7 is level with the 0 in the date, plus the LIBERTY is usually weakly struck. If you post an image then it's easier to identify. The value depends on the grade and if the coin is red/orange or brown in toning.

I've noticed that the mint marks are clearly in different proximities from the date. The small strike being slightly further away from the date as the large strike. That seems to be the easiest way to tell the two apart.. Yet I've never seen that suggested anywhere.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The easiest way I have found is using the point of the inside curl of the "9" in the Date! On the "Small Date" Variety, the point of the inside curl of the "9" is almost always pointed and points to the tail or foot or bottom of the "7" in the Date. On the "Large Date" Variety, the point of the inside curl of the "9" is almost always blunt and points towards the right upper portion of the Mint mark or a little higher but never points at the tail of the "7".

Frank

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just someone dragging up a 5 year old post Frank!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Just someone dragging up a 5 year old post Frank!

Thanks, I totally did not notice! Also, forgivable since the person reviving the Thread is new to TNET and had a tidbit to add that may be useful. So, welcome to Treasure Net Dwight D., we hope you stay!

Frank

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info thanks. I've attempted to tell on a few I had. I'll need to look again.
I've noticed that the mint marks are clearly in different proximities from the date. The small strike being slightly further away from the date as the large strike. That seems to be the easiest way to tell the two apart.. Yet I've never seen that suggested anywhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions