Key Date Mercury Dime

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wanted some opinions on this 1921 D Mercury Dime that I found yesterday while hunting a private residence. I don't know anything about rating a coin but it looks like it's in pretty good shape to me. If you have experience in this area and would be willing to help me out please respond. I also would like opinions on whether it would be worth the price to have it slabbed and rated by pcgs.
1921DMercuryDime.jpg

1921DMercuryDimereverse.jpg

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the better ones I've seen that was dug.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Digs. It appears to be better than F12 but I'm not sure it quite makes VF20 so F15 is my thought. Grey Sheet bid/ask for F is 145/160 and VF is 290/320. Decision to send to PCGS is up to you. It might be worth it due to the big price difference between F & VF, however, PCGS will most likely give it a details grade and say it is cleaned.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find i cant wait to get a key date ...i wont rub it but im going to lick it

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
AWesome find. I congratulate you. First of all, I would advise you to Pass on sending it in to slabbing it. I am no expert but from what I have seen, PCGS and NGC will in my opinion "body bag" that coin, or give it a "details" grade and call it obverse scratched, or environmental damage. That is my point of view on that. Also, you found it, you know its genuine. Even if you could get it to grade out, you are looking at 10% + of the value of the coin, just to have a "professional" tell you the grade. Truth is, majority of the coin dealers can tell you in 1 min. what it scores roughly. The viewpoint that all dealers will give you B.S. grades just to try to lowball you is B.S. (as long as you have someone you have built a good relationship with). As far as grade, taking the gash out of the equation... Definately better than F12... I agree with Waseeker, somewhere between F15-VF20.

Awesome find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions