anacs to conservative

deeptarget

Mar 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got this back from anacs a while back and thought for sure it was at least a 8 grade. sorry for the crappy scan. what do you guys think would this coin have gotten better grade at another company?

coin back.jpeg coin front.jpeg

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
ANACS is considered to be the least conservative grading service, after PCGS and NGC. I believe they net graded this coin. The coin has VG details, but has been knocked down to G-4 due to surface problems and porosity.

-Paul

OP
OP
deeptarget

deeptarget

Mar 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel a bit cheated. redbook says a g4 coin is worth 70$. and a f12 is worth 110$. and i have heard the total opposite for anacs i hear they are the most conservative. know this know i will always go to PCGS. This coin should be at least a VG8-10.

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
I feel a bit cheated. redbook says a g4 coin is worth 70$. and a f12 is worth 110$. and i have heard the total opposite for anacs i hear they are the most conservative. know this know i will always go to PCGS. This coin should be at least a VG8-10.

You were misinformed. PCGS is seen as the most conservative, although NGC is right up with there with them. Then ANACS, then ICG.

-Paul

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin appears to be VG8 and ANACS places net grades on their holders plus why it was net graded, so I don't know why the conservative grade.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin isn't net graded - if it was it would say "net" on the holder. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't. I have resubmitted several coins to pcgs w/ success. I sent in a 1914d cent in a pcgs f15 holder and it came back pcgs vf25.

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
The coin isn't net graded - if it was it would say "net" on the holder. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't. I have resubmitted several coins to pcgs w/ success. I sent in a 1914d cent in a pcgs f15 holder and it came back pcgs vf25.

You misunderstood my use of the word "net graded." I didn't mean they gave it a details grade, but rather that while the coin might have better details than the assigned grade, it has been knocked lower instead of giving it a details grade. You can't tell enough from the photo to to definitively tell if that was the case. But it was either that, or ANACS simply misgraded the coin. I would never base the "conservativeness" of a grading service on one coin.

-Paul

-Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread