600.8 KB · Views: 380
May 2, 2012
Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a 2001 (P)
Interesting how it looks though, almost smeared. I've seen a few coins look like this but they are usually much older.

mohawkman4081

May 5, 2012
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX or Whites Clasic Id
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it was sitting in salt water at the beach I find coins like this all the time with this type of pitting metal detecting

mohawkman4081

May 5, 2012
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX or Whites Clasic Id
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a combo of the sand and salt water over a long period of time

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I noticed that the letters at the bottom do not seem to have the same kind/amount of wear as the rest of the nickel. I think that natural/sea wear would be more uniform. Worn die? Also less probable. The wear looks intentional/man-made to me.
worn nickel.jpg

GhostCoast

Apr 11, 2012
Gainesville, Fl
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Other
What you have there is rarely seen and more rarely found. It's a true P.O.S nickel. J/k, I have no idea, really....

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
It's not from sea water, and it's not man made wear either. The entire design is mushy and/or flattened, and that's caused by a poor die state. If this was man made it would be flat and there would be evidence of tool marks. I have several examples of this occurance and have seen many more. When a die strikes a planchet, the heat from the pressure momentarily melts the planchet metal into the recesses of the die, if the die is worn from too many uses, and has lost it's sharpness in detail, it will cause the design features to look mushy and muddled.

Using this nickel as an example, I don't see how your statements explain the result shown in the images. In a die, Monticello would be the deepest recessed part of the die. The lettering would be one of the least recessed portions of the die. I think the lettering would suffer failure equal to (if not more than) the deepest recessed portions. YMMV

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using this nickel as an example, I don't see how your statements explain the result shown in the images. In a die, Monticello would be the deepest recessed part of the die. The lettering would be one of the least recessed portions of the die. I think the lettering would suffer failure equal to (if not more than) the deepest recessed portions. YMMV

I digress in my statements. The coin is most likely a dryer coin.

Last edited:

jasper62

Feb 8, 2009
Georgia
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer 202 / garrett ace 250
The coin is one of two things, (1) it's either a commercial dryer coin or (2) it's been acid dipped But most definitely did not come from the mint this way.
I'm not an expert but thirty years of collecting error coin's tells me this.There is nothing in the minting process of a coin that can cause this but there is a million ways the coin can be damaged after the collar is released and the coin is ejected. It's "PMD" Post Mint Damage

dgrs2

Mar 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a dug coin that was cleaned to me. Looks like someone tumbled it with sand then tumbled with jewelers shot. No an error that's for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread