Is this a 1983 "brass penny"?

Ziggurat

Mar 17, 2012
NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This 1983 penny caught my eye, so I decided to hold on to it. It's an unusual color, pale and yellow-ish. With a bit of googling I found that there is talk of some 1983 pennies that were struck as brass or with a brass plating. I know the only way to TRULY tell if this is the real deal is with a scale (which I don't have at the moment). So, what do you think it is? Do you think it could be one of these brass pennies based on the coloring? The 2011 penny is just for comparison.

Enlarge the picture and you'll see it's not actually brown like it is in the thumbnail, lol.

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 2,167

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks normal to me, may have been discolored from environment. Our modern penny is copper plated, so a copper toning could theoretically occur.

OP
OP
Z

Ziggurat

Mar 17, 2012
NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly looking at the image again, it doesn't do the color justice. It's actually a sort of shiny yellow/pale tan. The image makes it look like a regular old dull brown penny. Even one of my co-workers commented on it's color being weird before I took it. Oh well, I'll invest in a scale one day and test it out.

Last edited:

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's is brass plated, zinc planchet cents, and you might have one. However, the coin must be examined by a CONECA member like Bob Piazzo. You can type CONECA in a search and contact Bob. The coins are worth something but not a lot. Here's some for sale Brass Cent Offers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread