Help identify this coin

KenyonFam5

May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this site. Found it while trying to identify this coin. I am sure it is a reproduction (my daughter found it in a safeway check out isle) but we would still love to know what it is and when its from and maybe if there is any info on when it was reproducted. It weighs 10.3g.

100MEDIA_IMAG0127.jpg 100MEDIA_IMAG0126.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If real, a Spanish 'cob' coin from the 1500s to 1600s. Do a '180' on the left image for proper alignment. 'S' represents the mint mark. An authentic cob would be about 92% silver. They came in eights (1,2,4 and 8). The eight reales coin is the historic 'piece of eight'. It weighed about 27.5 grams; proportionally less for the lesser values.
Don....

OP
OP
K

KenyonFam5

May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What makes you think it's a reproduction?

I found this while searching for this coin last night...Im just very confused because I have not been able to find another coin ANYWHERE online that looks like this one...AND if it is a reproduction, why can I only find this one listing for just one? Wouldnt there be TONS of them around? Also I want to try to figure out when it was reproduced...Any info on this specific coin I can get is appreciated. I saw that authentic 4 reales weighed approx. 13.2g-13.75g...this one only weighs 10.3g...Authentic reales would have been made out of spanish (or some other sort) of silver and since sterling silver weighs less then other silvers (I think), it would make sense that this is a reproduction...
SORRY FORGOT TO POST THE LINK http://www.etsy.com/listing/75144892/spanish-4-reale-ancient-coin

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KenyonFam5

May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kenyon,
First, Welcome to Treasure Net !!
You may wish to search through the cob coins here to find one similar to yours; remembering that due to the way they are produced, no two cob coins are identical; one is or both are reproductions.
Spanish cob coins - Google Search
Don.......

Thanks. I forgot to post the link to the one I was referring to lol..Just posted it in the above reply :)

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd post it in the Spanish Cobs forum. Those guys are dang good.

OP
OP
K

KenyonFam5

May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there an admin that can move this thread over to the spanish cob section?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread