1970 S ...Can I get your opinions.Please

WillFindItYet

Jun 15, 2012
Knoxville,TN
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! :icon_scratch: P5220006.JPG P5220029.JPG P5220004.JPG P5220004.JPG P5220018.JPG

Album here- https://plus.google.com/photos/1080...s/5755477238396601569?authkey=CLjQrJvkyfW_5gE

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
This is not a 1970 s small date. This is one tough find until you find one. Check my post I found one not long ago. The 9 is What you really have to look at the tail will point more towards the 7 on small date versus on a regular on it will point toward the S. Also in the small date the 7 will be noticeably higher also. Hope this helps.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
This is not a 1970 s small date. This is one tough find until you find one. Check my post I found one not long ago. The 9 is What you really have to look at the tail will point more towards the 7 on small date versus on a regular on it will point toward the S. Also in the small date the 7 will be noticeably higher also. Hope this helps.

+1 It is easy to distinguish once you see photos of an actual small date. Pay attention to the Nine.

OP
OP
WillFindItYet

WillFindItYet

Jun 15, 2012
Knoxville,TN
Primary Interest:
Other
I searched for your posts and did not see that one, Of'course I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other......LoL When and if you have the time would you give me directions....Thanks for your help too!!!!!!!!!
Tough find got me anxious,LoL

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in Tennessee for years myself. I lived in Clarksville. Are you a Wildcat fan?

Last edited:

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I generally look at the 9 on 70 s's . If it makes a sharp curve inward I set it aside but if its pretty wide I put it in the copper pile n im crhing. Also the Liberty is usually a weaker strike, and the top of the 7 is higher than the top of the 0.

OP
OP
WillFindItYet

WillFindItYet

Jun 15, 2012
Knoxville,TN
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for replying!!

I generally look at the 9 on 70 s's . If it makes a sharp curve inward I set it aside but if its pretty wide I put it in the copper pile n im crhing. Also the Liberty is usually a weaker strike, and the top of the 7 is higher than the top of the 0.

If I understand correctly now? If it has a crease in the bend of the "7" it's a LD....Right?? I tried all the tricks & still couldn't tell them apart but someone in a different forum told me if it has a crease its LD!
I think itr worked for me? Watch me be wrong & that made it so easy for me,LoL He said a small date will never a crease?:BangHead:
Thank you for your time to help! :hello2:

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
WillFindItYet said:
If I understand correctly now? If it has a crease in the bend of the "7" it's a LD....Right?? I tried all the tricks & still couldn't tell them apart but someone in a different forum told me if it has a crease its LD!
I think itr worked for me? Watch me be wrong & that made it so easy for me,LoL He said a small date will never a crease?:BangHead:
Thank you for your time to help! :hello2:

Look on my other post i have posted pictures. The 9 on the small date points more towards the 7

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Like I said earlier in the thread - Pay attention to the Nine. It is all about the Nine. Weaker Liberties and Creases in the Seven will be hard to discern especially on circulated examples. The Nine won't change.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't tell which one it is, but I am curious why all the small dates have weaker "Liberty"?

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
sagittarius98 said:
I can't tell which one it is, but I am curious why all the small dates have weaker "Liberty"?

I am not really sure on this one. I am sure a more avid collector than I could give a better answer. I would assume it would be some kind of die error. I had the hardest time of finding one but when I did there is no doubt it is one. Several I see on eBay listed as small dates are not. If you will look at the ones that are graded and labeled small date you can really see it.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said earlier in the thread - Pay attention to the Nine. It is all about the Nine. Weaker Liberties and Creases in the Seven will be hard to discern especially on circulated examples. The Nine won't change.
VERY TRUE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread