• IMG00193-20120711-1239.jpg
    IMG00193-20120711-1239.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 293

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
It does appear to be dug, or maybe that's the way it looks in the pic. I would have to say it's fake. The strike is to perfect, and planchet is too round. Back in the days these were crude coins. Never centered and never true round. I'm sure there are some on here that know more than me and I do hope that I am wrong, it could be worth some cash if real. There is another site out there that would know for sure. It's cointalk.com it is free to sign up and they know there stuff over there, be prepared for some harsh answers. They can be a little rude.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fairly valuable coin *IF* real. You'll need to get much clearer pictures because I doubt anyone can, or would be willing to make a call with those images. What else did you inherit? Would probably give a good indication of what to expect.

I definitely wouldn't buy it from what I can see, but hope it turns out to be genuine.... but does have a cast edge look to it.

PS: To be a rare coin, and in a fairly high grade, it would be extremely surprising for you to receive it and not have any idea. Not many high dollar coins like that stay under the radar to that degree.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Premiess

Jul 11, 2012
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG00196-20120711-1435.jpg IMG00197-20120711-1437.jpg I inherited other coins from him as well as other items that were already sold. I have only been given some since the rest went to my dad. I will take some other pictures of this coin and will try to make them clearer. Thank you both for your insight. Sorry about the first two pics.lol

Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it out of the holder, in good natural lighting or under a lamp, and post close-up, macro photos of both sides please.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel too good about it. Silver coins that old don't really look like they have shiny silver plating, such as that one. These things are just faked so much.... and like I said if there was nothing else of a significant nature in your inheritance it's easy to see the direction this could take.

Can you post a picture of the edge. The genuine ones are very thin, and cast fakes usually on the thick side. Also weigh it if you have a scale.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Premiess

Jul 11, 2012
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are other coins which I will start uploading. There were a set of Gorham Silver bowls, foot pedal sewing machines from the 1790s and much more. Certain pieces were sold so I know some things had significant value although I don't know about the coins. IMG00200-20120711-1457.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should take the coins to a local expert for evaluation. If they think they're genuine, I'd insure them and ship them off to a grading company (such as PCGS) where they will encase them in a plastic holder with it's grade and population report. With that, you can determine value and if you want to keep them or sell them.

OP
OP
P

Premiess

Jul 11, 2012
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks cudamark I will do that. My father told me to take them to more the one expert & get multiple evaluations. These coins came from my Grandfathers Estate years ago I have been just holding on to them.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The large coin in the pic with the 4 items is a Sicilian coin. It looks like it is a 120 grana (1806-1808). The 120 grana is silver. Your coin looks copper, or is it dark silver toning and the lighting is making it look copper. If it is real, it would probably be about 175-200 dollars.

OP
OP
P

Premiess

Jul 11, 2012
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks yeah the coin is a Sicilian one and has some weight to it. 120 Grana - Joseph Napoleon.jpg

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
The 2 Gold coins in the pic look fake as well. There are california gold coins out there and Pikes peak coins are very rare. I have never seen one look like that though. I did a quick google check and they make a 10 dollar coin that looks like that but I can seem to find a pic of yours. Hey maybe its a rare piece that slipped through the cracks. The other gold coin I have never seen a California piece with I want it all on the rev. After seeing better pics of the pine tree I would say that it is also fake. It looks like it was made from a sand mold. I have a few fakes that were made like that.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
If it is real, it looks like the Sicilian coin would be worth 200-300 dollars. It looks real, but I can't say for sure.

OP
OP
P

Premiess

Jul 11, 2012
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sagittarius98 for your help. I guess I need to locate a coin buyer in my area to look at all of them. The Sicilian coin I will have checked out as well. I buy and sell on Ebay all the time but mostly dvds,cds,electronics. I have never sold any coins on Ebay so I don't know about this kind of thing. Do you recommend listing any on their like the Sicilian coin? Or I should take it to a place first.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
You should absolutely have the coins authenticated by an expert before trying to sell any of them. Especially the Chain Cent and Oak Tree Shilling. If they are real they are worth a lot of money. If you take them to a local coin dealer and they tell you they are real they will not offer you anywhere near the full value of them. Be smart and do your research about these coins. You will be glad you did.

OP
OP
P

Premiess

Jul 11, 2012
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will absolutely be smart about this with these coins. I plan on taking them to a place to get graded.

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Wow! You've been asking about this coin for over a year now... and you still haven't got an answer you like? About a year ago, you posted on coincommunity's forum- same coin - almost same question. Are you just dying for attention, or what? (see my photo below)

premiess.jpg

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel too good about it. Silver coins that old don't really look like they have shiny silver plating, such as that one. These things are just faked so much.... and like I said if there was nothing else of a significant nature in your inheritance it's easy to see the direction this could take.

Can you post a picture of the edge. The genuine ones are very thin, and cast fakes usually on the thick side. Also weigh it if you have a scale.
I agree. Silver coins that old are not shiny, and genuine ones are very thin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions