Penny - Death by Minerlization

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting tired of finding pennies around here that look like this. Its a 1999 and its almost gone makes me worry that all the wheats are just dust and worm poop now.:occasion14:
penny1.JPG penny2.JPG

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is an example of a Zinc penny decomposing. Don't worry about the wheaties as they are brass or copper and don't decompose like this.

OP
OP
TheElementOfSand

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good to know that my spot is not totally a lost cause. HH

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
LOL! The Zinc Copper penny turns into a battery when the Zinc is opened to the elements.

They go Fizzy on you.

OP
OP
TheElementOfSand

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work with small electronics all the time..had not thought of it becoming its own battery but it makes perfect sense. they basically preform their own poorly conducted electrolysis on themselves.

lucyreed

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The penny is perhaps the most debatable coin in circulation, as it costs more than one cent to make one and no person likes the things. A sports store is so federal reserve up with them that the store owner has declared cents banned from the property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions