Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHO SAYS METAL DETECTING DOESN'T PAY???

My good buddy Bob Shelton asked me to post this for him since he is completely computer illiterate (and proud of it).
Put a metal detector in his hands and it's another story though
free-evil-grin-smileys-752.gif

Bob found three of these ultra rare 1817 New Spain (Texas) Half Real Jolas many years ago south of San Antonio. These coins are sort of like the Texas equivalent of a Massachussetts Pine Tree Shilling. Like most of you, I had never heard of this coin until he told me he was going to put one up for auction through Heritage Auctions. Well the auction closed Friday August 3rd and the coin realized an incredible price........$52,875
smiley-excited002.gif

While there may be another US ground found piece that has sold for more, I'm not aware of it. Here is the link to the Heritage Auction offering for those that would like more information on this coin. This coin is not particularly pretty, and it's not gold or silver, but it's obviously highly desireable to some.
1817 1/2 RL New Spain (Texas) Jola Half Real -- | Lot #5010 | Heritage Auctions

Attachments

• 1817Jola.jpg
    1817Jola.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find, and incredible to think where Texas (New Spain) was just a short 200 years ago.

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's awesome

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thanks for sharing. I never knew of this coin. Fantastic realized price. Hopefully, your friend kept a specimen for himself.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post and Thank You for Sharing!!!

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW!!:wav::wav::wav:He still have 2 more yet,,,he should go back to that area & see if there's more,Everyone would want a find like that:headbang:

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I voted it to be a banner b/c such a rare coin & @ just a awesome price,,wow,,hope you get it:hello2:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing. I never knew of this coin. Fantastic realized price. Hopefully, your friend kept a specimen for himself.

Diver, he has two more of them. He may sell one of those later.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I voted it to be a banner b/c such a rare coin & @ just a awesome price,,wow,,hope you get it:hello2:

Thanks Kiana, but I didn't dig it, my buddy in Texas did. Plus, he found it about 40 years ago, and just recently decided to put it up for auction. He wanted me to post it for him since it is such a rare and valuable coin that most people never heard of. There was another one in the auction sold by a friend of my friend. It brought $22,000.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's awesome Steve!! And the best thing is that he found 3 of them. Is he going to sell the others? The only other coin I'm aware of that sold for anywhere near that amount was one of those 1600s Maryland coins (can't remember which one of them he found) that my buddy Stan found which sold on Stacks for over $42K about 4-5 years ago. I think there were only about 4-5 known specimens at that time. Then later that year he and his buddy found another of those, but of a diferent variety, and it sold for several thousand as well. Both were found in a field at a 1600s site about 50 miles north from where I live. Maybe one of these days I can walk over something like that. Haven't done it yet, but it's not because I haven't tried. Thanks for posting that coin. HH ..... Bill

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome Steve!! And the best thing is that he found 3 of them. Is he going to sell the others? The only other coin I'm aware of that sold for anywhere near that amount was one of those 1600s Maryland coins (can't remember which one of them he found) that my buddy Stan found which sold on Stacks for over $42K about 4-5 years ago. I think there were only about 4-5 known specimens at that time. Then later that year he and his buddy found another of those, but of a diferent variety, and it sold for several thousand as well. Both were found in a field at a 1600s site about 50 miles north from where I live. Maybe one of these days I can walk over something like that. Haven't done it yet, but it's not because I haven't tried. Thanks for posting that coin. HH ..... Bill

Did he keep that one quiet? I don't remember hearing about it, and it's not the type of thing I would forget!

As for the coin in this thread I only have two things to say..... Incredible! And too bad the post got moved because now only about 10% of users will get to see it. That's for the 95% or so that would want to, because there's always some who hate seeing others find something of high value. :occasion18:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did he keep that one quiet? I don't remember hearing about it, and it's not the type of thing I would forget!

As for the coin in this thread I only have two things to say..... Incredible! And too bad the post got moved because now only about 10% of users will get to see it. That's for the 95% or so that would want to, because there's always some who hate seeing others find something of high value. :occasion18:

IP, I recall the Maryland coin being posted, so it wasn't all hush hush. Maybe I saw it in a magazine, I'm not sure.

I agree about them moving my post. It seemed like they relaxed the standards based on some of what they are leaving on Today's Finds, for example, the Metal Detecting on Private Property thread.

By the way, there is a dude here in Pittsburgh playing foosball with us from PEI. He doesn't metal detect though - LOL

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, there is a dude here in Pittsburgh playing foosball with us from PEI. He doesn't metal detect though - LOL

Not many do Steve, but sometimes the metal detectorists are bigger than the football players! 8-)

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not many do Steve, but sometimes the metal detectorists are bigger than the football players! 8-)

Foosball Chris, not Football. Or as I hear they call it in Canada, "babyfoot".

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Foosball Chris, not Football. Or as I hear they call it in Canada, "babyfoot".

Now that's more like it. (Not much football here - if it even exists at all) That having been said, the babyfoot comment is coming from someone who is into foosball? I guess you can't have playstation and Pepsi night, every night? :laughing7:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's more like it. (Not much football here - if it even exists at all) That having been said, the babyfoot comment is coming from someone who is into foosball? I guess you can't have playstation and Pepsi night, every night? :laughing7:

I prefer beer and foosball over Pepsi and Playstation. I'm too old school for video games anyway. A girl I knew from Montreal told me they called it babyfoot up there.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer beer and foosball over Pepsi and Playstation. I'm too old school for video games anyway. A girl I knew from Montreal told me they called it babyfoot up there.

Don't ever believe someone from Montreal. ;)

I hear ya on the video games. I would rather work at a labor job than have to play them and I'm 100% serious. Needless to less my brother-in-law doesn't get many tips from me for his work. :tongue3: (designs them)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread