1868 Shield nickle found MDn...How can I clean it?

Schemp

Apr 11, 2011
Milwaukee
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/ Ace 350

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I think A LOT of coin collectors need to re-evaluate their stance on cleaning coins. This topic comes up QUITE often and the results are all too predictable.

An 1868 Shield Nickel is basically a "common date" coin. One that was dug up is likely already suffering from environmental damage and possibly corrosion and other damage.

So think about it for a minute: It is maybe a $20 coin that is suffering from damage. What effect will cleaning it have? Will it increase the value if you are planning on selling it? If you aren't going to sell it and you want to display the coin with your collection, will cleaning it then increase it's non-monetary value to you?

For key dates/valuable coins (dug): Clean/conserve at your discretion after careful research and planning. Or send it off to a professional coin conservation service.

For key dates/valuable coins (non-dug): I would leave them alone in most cases. MAYBE an acetone bath if absolutely necessary.

For common dates/low value coins (dug or non-dug): Decide what you plan to do with these types of coins and then clean to your heart's desire. I highly doubt it will make much of a difference in the end.

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree JB, no one ever catches my sarcasm. Also, I have made more $ by cleaning certain low-key silvers. They made a kazillion of those things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions