Grade?

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all, just looking for a estimated grade and value :)
Wicka

image-3115854616.jpg

image-1191816598.jpg

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Liberty is full and bold, that's a good start!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It would grade VF. It has the clear Liberty and the edges of the scroll are distinct. I can't tell about the clasp on her shoulder. If all the details that I mentioned are clear, then it would push it to EF. However, it has been cleaned which will drop the overall grade. So base your valuation on the net VF grade. It is valued at $45.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Diver_Down said:
It would grade VF. It has the clear Liberty and the edges of the scroll are distinct. I can't tell about the clasp on her shoulder. If all the details that I mentioned are clear, then it would push it to EF. However, it has been cleaned which will drop the overall grade. So base your valuation on the net VF grade. It is valued at $45.

It has been cleaned? :( its been in a collection for 30 years or so. Unsure if it has or not. Orig owner has passed. How do you base it as cleaned? I know you're much more intelligent than me. Sorry for questioning. :notworthy:
Wicka

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It has been cleaned? :( its been in a collection for 30 years or so. Unsure if it has or not. Orig owner has passed. How do you base it as cleaned? I know you're much more intelligent than me. Sorry for questioning. :notworthy:
Wicka

Wicka, I'm not much more intelligent than you. I'm just a bit more experienced. People always fret about a coin being cleaned. The ones that have been cleaned improperly are the ones to fret over. As a general rule, any raw coin that is over 100 years old has at some point over it's lifespan been cleaned. Perhaps not by the current owner, but somewhere along the line it has been. This is one that hasn't been harshly cleaned.

First, a coin has devices and the field. The field on the obverse to the right has distracting scratches. This is not likely to cleaning, but rather harsh treatment before being sequestered in a collection. One of the tell-tale signs of a cleaning is the halo effect around the coin's devices. This is as a result of when it was cleaned the individual could not get into the nooks and crannies.

Like I said earlier, it is a nice coin that hasn't been harshly cleaned. Hold on to the coin. If it is from a relative, then it is priceless.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm attempting to buy it in part of a collection.
:)
Along with many other old coins... a 1819 cent, 1855 cent, 1861, complete set of mercs, rosies, all the washington silvers, (except 2-5 key dates) and a lot of other coins.
Thanks for the information!
Wicka <3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread