Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem with finding coins in the ground is when they get graded they do get knocked down a notch or two due to the corrosion from the ground. They do state on the slab that it has the details of a coin in fine condition, but basically due to the corrosion it is knocked down OVERALL to G6, which is the upper level of G as most G condition coins are graded G-4. I have collected coins for many years, and do know more than the average person about grading, but cannot profess to know as much as professional graders.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well Rich: You have 3 Choices! Crack it open & leave it as a Raw Coin! Crack it open & send it to another Grading Service, or Leave it asis!

I'm no Expert, but I think any Graders will knock it down for Corrosion! ??? Good Luck!

Joe

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I'm no pro either- IMO a tiny bit harsh...perhaps a G-8? If you feel real strongly about it you could always pop it out and send it in to another grading company.

OP
OP
R

Rich

wayne1956 said:
due to the corrosion

i figure that is the main reason "corrosion",but still a great lookin coin,as for crackin the slab i might just do that with a 1797 half cent error and the 1798 l cent and send them to PCGS....
it just seems to me whenever i send out coppers for grading that they tend to get a lower grade than I would think,but thats me....
thx for all replys...!

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree it has much better detail than a G-8 grade, but they take many things into account, including detail and condition, and basically give an overall grade.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the corrosion is what got ya. there is a fair amount of it on the coin, but being in the ground for 200 years, i think it looks damn good! they have to take into consideration the fact that it is a bit damaged....thats ok. it is still a gorgeous coin and a spectacular find.

J

JDSCOIN

Hello Rich,

Yes, I agree with what the others have said here about the corrosion factor. But, I also noticed a few (mostly small) gashes. That too, can detract from the overall grade.

Certainly, better details can be seen. But when grading coins with "distractions" and/or problems, that generally takes away from the grade - even in terms of raw coins.

One thing that I can say which may be of some value to you and others who send in coins for grading is that you try to use the same kind of 'formula' as the professional graders and dealers to arrive a a "net" grade. To do that, one must be objective (realistic) and take points away for problems or distractions on coins. This may take some time to learn and to become good at.

But once you can do this for yourself, you can actually ASSIST the graders in giving your coins an accurate grade - which, can, in some instances, work in your favor. If you send in a coin for grading which you have realistically graded yourself beforehand, then instead of looking for reasons to knock down the grade of your coin, they will be looking for reasons to confirm your grade of the coin.

Now, having said that, there are some things about the grading services that some people do not like and which may not seem fair or whatever. But as it is, they are what they are and in order to get the best out of what they offer, we have to play by their rules. I have heard a lot of things from many people about these grading services and much of it does not sound very good.

I've heard some of the suggestions here and I think that some others that have commented are familiar too with some of the things which have been said to me regarding grading services. Some have said that what they were advised to do in some cases is to re-submit their coins for "re-evaluation" (paying to have them graded AGAIN a second time), for which they "might" just receive a higher grade. Interesting. What might that be called? Hmm... doesn't sound fair or right somehow, does it? I'm just saying what I've heard and what others have done when dealing with grading services so that you may better know what to do next time or in the future.

I hope that what I've said helps. Best regards,

JDSCOIN

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I have 18 old silver Mid-East coins with some dating back to 900 AD.
My son was in Desert Storm and recovered them from a blown up house. Two appear to have been struck over with a Crusader Cross. They are really dirty and I have no idea what they say.
Are they worth anything.
Don Webb

OP
OP
R

Rich

JDSCOIN said:
Hello Rich,

Yes, I agree with what the others have said here about the corrosion factor. But, I also noticed a few (mostly small) gashes. That too, can detract from the overall grade.

JDSCOIN

thx for the info all,also thanks for lookin at the coin aswell,in the future im gonna crack it and resend after the holidays...

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I don't think the grading was harsh myself. It looks to be pretty close. By resubmitting it, you are getting to where you may be putting more money into it than you may want to, and no guarantee it will grade higher. Some of the other grading services would most likely bodybag it. My own opinion is leave it be. :)

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If your questioning it, and it could vary the price enough, send it to PCGS.

That coin is pretty worn and corroded though. Don't expect too much from it.

J

JDSCOIN

Hello Don, your question seemed out of place in this thread. But I will comment upon it.

I have 18 old silver Mid-East coins with some dating back to 900 AD. My son was in Desert Storm and recovered them from a blown up house. Two appear to have been struck over with a Crusader Cross. They are really dirty and I have no idea what they say.
Are they worth anything.

The first thing that I noticed is that you have been around a bit here at TN as denoted by your profile. So, I'd think that you would have posted this question either in another thread that was more on topic or that you would have created your own thread for it. Secondly, I see that you already seem to know that (at least 'some') of these coins you are talking about date back to about 900 AD. Which leads me to believe that you have already talked to someone who knows something about these or this type of coin. Thus, perhaps, you are seeking a second opinion as to value.

Another thing that I note is that you should know (having been around) that like almost any other coin, condition is an important factor in determining value. Yet, you did not mention what condition these coins are in. Were they damaged in the explosion? I also noted that their size was not given, nor pictures (which is okay since this is really not the thread for this subject unless the reason for posting about that here is because you are wondering about sending them in for grading). Also, you say that they appear to be over-struck. That can be either a plus or a minus in terms of value, depending upon when and what they were over-struck with.

In general, coins of this type, in my experience, based upon grade, etc. would be worth about $20-$30 each in high grade. Note that I said "IF" in high grade (Unc. or better) and if NOT over-struck of the denomination of the size of 25 to 30 mm's in diameter. However, the market flucuates or changes for such coins. What I have said here is only a general value for the specific coins of the type which I have described.

The value could be better determined by those who specialize in that sort of coin and who know more about the current values and who know more about the coins that you have in terms of condition, denomination, etc. It sounds like we are talking about circulated coins. I see circulated coins of this type selling frequently at coin shows for about $5.00 to $10.00 each. This is just to give you a general idea as to potential value as this is what I think you were asking about. Best regards,

JDSCOIN

J

JDSCOIN

Hello Rich,

If you read carefully what I wrote, though I did mention re-submitting, I also said to be certain beforehand that the coin really deserves the higher grade. One of the toughest things for a lot of people in coin-collecting is the grading aspect of it. Particularly when it comes to THEIR coins.

Jeffro gave a word of caution regarding resubmitting; and that is that it can be costly. A person can very easily sink a lot of money into the 'professional' grading and encapsulating of coins that may not be worth that cost. It is going to be YOUR call in terms of what you want to do with YOUR coins. But sometimes the best thing that we can do is to leave "good enough" alone. This may be one of those times. It is up to YOU to decide.

For instance, there are a lot of people who spend good money sending in average circulated rather 'common' coins which are not worth anything near what the cost is to have them graded professionally. That is why you see lots of "cheap slabs" for sale.

I have coins which were literally given to me that have been sent in for slabbing which were really only worth their face value. But someone spent $15.00 or more to have each of them slabbed!!! Now, in the big scheme of things, WHO is really making out like a bandit here? I'd say that it's the grading companies. Be careful and beware. There is always something more to learn when it comes to coins. Best regards,

JDSCOIN

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich,....nice find no matter the grade. I don't know alot about slabbing, other than it costs! I think you got alot of good advice from the posts. One thing I have noticed in slabbed coins is that PCGS seems about the toughtest, followed by NGC and with ANACS about the most forgiving grader out of them all. That said, I would think that if you opened the slab and sent it to PCGS you would get a lower grade than what ANACS gave. I think they graded the coin accurately, they stated it had fine details,(it does) and they also stated it was corroded (it is) and all these factors were taken into consideration with their grading. I personally think you;d be wasting your money re-submitting it and it may actually get graded lower. If you are gonna try and sell the coin , there is a big difference is value range between the grades, and you may want to take the chance in getting a higher grade. Otherwise I would leave things as they are and accept the grade given, for it is very tough getting a high grade on a dug copper coin. Now go find some nice old silver and gold coins, for the ground is alot kinder to them and they grade out ALOT better than the dug copper...:):)

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Rich,

I may have missed something but I don't think you said whether this is a dug coin or purchased coin ? ???...... it has a beautiful chocolate brown color to it, something rarely encountered with a dug copper.........In any event, I think that the coin was mainly graded from the obverse (Fine Details) but the reverse is much stronger, I believe Very Fine+ so based on that I think you should have received a net VG-10/12.

Also, the "corrosion" noted seems more to me like a rough obverse planchet as the reverse does not show corrosion.

Great looking coin, good luck with any re-submissions.

Greg

OP
OP
R

Rich

thanks all for thier input! as for now im gonna keep it sealed until i find some other good coins to get graded.
ill be posting a good topic under coins for eveyones opinion.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions