picked up some gold yesterday

ihatedirtbikes

Feb 22, 2012
virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus DMCII-Ba
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive been collecting silver for a little under a year now and ive started picking up gold when i can for the past 2 months. i just got these 2 krugerrands(1982, 1984). i think im going to get a 1/4 gold eagle next time, and then eventually a 1/2 and a 1. here are some photos of my small collection of gold and silver coins(and 2 1862 sterling knives that weigh a little over 3oz combined). i just wanted to show you all and contribute some photos, because i like how much everyone puts into this forum.

Attachments

• 100_0533.JPG
    100_0533.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 116
  • 100_0534.JPG
    100_0534.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 100_0535.JPG
    100_0535.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 100_0537.JPG
    100_0537.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 100_0538.JPG
    100_0538.JPG
    358.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 100_0540.JPG
    100_0540.JPG
    335.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 100_0539.JPG
    100_0539.JPG
    326.3 KB · Views: 101

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Collection Ih8Dirtbikes thanks for sharing that with us. Someday my collection will look like this =-)

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just curious, but do the value of the coins (especially in good condition like that) command a premium over the bullion cost for the coins? Krugerands always make me think of Lethal Weapon II.... "Diplomatic Immunity".

OP
OP
I

ihatedirtbikes

Feb 22, 2012
virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Collection Ih8Dirtbikes thanks for sharing that with us. Someday my collection will look like this =-)

thanks a lot sky. im fortunate enough to not have many bills. it doesnt hurt that i dont like banks and have trouble saving cash. its easier for me to save my money when i turn it into gold and silver because id rather have that than money any day.

Just curious, but do the value of the coins (especially in good condition like that) command a premium over the bullion cost for the coins? Krugerands always make me think of Lethal Weapon II.... "Diplomatic Immunity".

im not sure if you are talking about just the Krugerrands or the collection as a whole. if you are talking about the Krugerrands then yes, they do carry a higher premium than most. its mainly due to the low mintage of the coins, ive also heard that they are renown for using excellent quality gold but im no expert

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to rain on your parade but some Kugerrands have been found to be lacking in the gold they are supposed to contain. I would say that AGE's would be a better choice. IMHO. Nice collection BTW.

OP
OP
I

ihatedirtbikes

Feb 22, 2012
virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no rain here usandthem!! the sun is shining very bright :D

thats a little worrying, but im still satisfied with my purchase. i just wanted the krugerrands because they are different and from what ive seen they are harder to find for sale. maybe due to the lower mintage.

thanks also for the kind words at the end. im 24 years old and this seems to be my only chance at a somewhat comfortable future.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice collection ihatedirtbikes. The issue with some krugerands being light I think was limited to some proof coins. I can't tell from the pics what size your krugerands are. I've got some European gold but I think I might get an AGE next time.

OP
OP
I

ihatedirtbikes

Feb 22, 2012
virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection ihatedirtbikes. The issue with some krugerands being light I think was limited to some proof coins. I can't tell from the pics what size your krugerands are. I've got some European gold but I think I might get an AGE next time.

thanks a lot!! they are the 1/10 oz krugers. i think im going to wait until the release of the next year AGE and try to get some in the box with CoA when they are released. hopefully ill have enough money saved up by then to purchase a larger denomination(just to diversify my collection). i might even get a couple canadian 1/10

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Buddy, great looking collection. Congrats. Just hoping you are acquiring these gold coins from a reputable long established dealer. As you may already know there are lots of great looking counterfeits floating around these days. Again, great looking collection. Your heading in the right direction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions