Typo on a 1978 Quarter?

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
I just found a 1978 Quarter that looks like it has a typo in "in God we trust". I swear it says "ix God we trust". I checked it with a jewelers loupe and the "X" does not look like it could have ever been an "N" that got damaged. This is the first time I've tried to use the macro setting on my camera. I also have a new photo editing program so the photo isn't nearly as good as I would like it to be.
The coin is very very pitted. I'm assuming that it's from corrosion. However, the area in question is clear of pitting - it just looks like a typo.
What do you guys think?

Attachments

• error quarter001.jpg
    error quarter001.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,174
OP
OP
C

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
OK, I'll try another photo:

Attachments

• quarter 2001.jpg
    quarter 2001.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 702

ihatedirtbikes

Feb 22, 2012
virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus DMCII-Ba
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it looks like two pits right on the outside of the N. it does look like an X though

OP
OP
C

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
it looks like two pits right on the outside of the N. it does look like an X though

You are right. On higher magnification I can see the pits. Also, whatever pitted the coin could have pushed up globs of metal where there shouldn't be any. That's what is making the N look like an X. I have got to figure out my camera! I should be able to get a better photo.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Dosen't look mint to me, but i'm just getting into errors..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread