OP
OP
GlenDronach

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL @ this depreciating item thing. I didn't go buy Ikea furniture.

I bought a solid teak Danish table from the early 60's and a pendant lamp by a well known designer- for half the price I found one at a local store. These aren going to hold value/increase. Well made items will continue to be valued.

Even if silver skyrocketed in the next few months, I'd lose what? Less than 200 bucks? The opportunity cost of the furniture outweighed the chance at a higher profit. I already got my 1000% return.

I didn't go sell it to make my 4% interest payment on my leased BMW to impress the neighborhood...

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
If it was one thing my dad taught me it was to save money. He got my into saving for 401K when I was 21 years old and I taught him how to collect silver as a teenager.
I have an 401K worth about $22,000 which at 37 is pretty good and I have a individual IRA that matures at 2 years worth about 1045. Then I have around 3,000 in silver, mostly buillion and junk silver. People say that I would sell my silver but for me that is a very last resort. As in lossing the house last resort. I would rather cash out my 401K then my silver. For right now with health issues and no useable money to get them fixed I call my 401K my emergency fund. Yeah the stupid goverment would take half of my hard earned money but I would have the rest of my money go do with what I want to do with it. Oh and yeah, I have a life insurance policy worth 96,000. I tell my mom that if I croak first she will be well taken care of. I'm not being morbid or pessimism, its just the un-sugared facts.

I have 3 40%s halves that I plan on cashing out. They are my first CRH silver but I want to save up for a box of halves. My workplace said that I can get a box for $500. My freind who works at a bank says her boxes are worth $1000. I rather get the smaller boxes as a stepping off point. I can't wait!!!

sincerely, GarouLady

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Wow, what a thing to get mad over another guys financial decision. At least he didn't use a credit card like so many do nowadays

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
::Raises her hands:: I just used my new credit card to order a dumpster to clean out my mom's basement. Guilty. My brother is steamed that I didn't consult with him first. I told him it was my credit card, my dumpster and he didn't take a week off in order to the cleanup. I did. So he has nothing to say. On the good side, I am getting him interested in collecting silver. He comes over and works on my car. Depending on what he does to it, I give him a buillion ounce or a quarter for help, rather that cash. odd thing is, he isn't selling the silver like he would have used the cash. go figure.

sincerely, GarouLady

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
::Raises her hands:: I just used my new credit card to order a dumpster to clean out my mom's basement. Guilty. My brother is steamed that I didn't consult with him first. I told him it was my credit card, my dumpster and he didn't take a week off in order to the cleanup. I did. So he has nothing to say. On the good side, I am getting him interested in collecting silver. He comes over and works on my car. Depending on what he does to it, I give him a buillion ounce or a quarter for help, rather that cash. odd thing is, he isn't selling the silver like he would have used the cash. go figure.

sincerely, GarouLady
Since we are off the subject here,
Big mistake on cleaning your moms basement by yourself. I bet you threw away all kinds of stuff worth money. Stuff you didn't even know held value. Happens all the time. Shame.

PS- 96k wouldn't make your mom "well taken care of", unless she has less than a year to live or something. "I'm not being morbid or pessimism, its just the un-sugared facts."

Now back to the topic-

accordselux- Great buys on the designer lamp and the Mid century Danish teak table. I always prefer vintage quality over modern made crap.

Gilmore- That comment you made about smoking that joint over bath salts or whatever, was the best reply you made on here. I think you need to go and do just that. Geesh.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread, not sure which I enjoy more this thread or my cup-o-noodles.
Cup-o-noodles are a little high priced. I have to eat Ramen noodles, the thrifty maid brand from Winn-Dixie. One of these days when I win the lottery, i'll be able to add some meat to them.

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel like the Green Day dude up on here that had his melt down a couple days ago. "One freakin minute...are you kidding me?? Ive been around since freakin 19 freakin 88....and youre gonna give me one freakin minute. Im not freakin Justin Beiber."

OP
OP
GlenDronach

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
accordselux- Great buys on the designer lamp and the Mid century Danish teak table. I always prefer vintage quality over modern made crap.

Thanks! Same here. Been Ikea'd, junked that.

Mmmm...Sven Middelboe...

IMG_0135.jpeg

Call me crazy, but I like this more than 75 Kennedy 40%ers.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gilmore Happy said:
I feel like the Green Day dude up on here that had his melt down a couple days ago. "One freakin minute...are you kidding me?? Ive been around since freakin 19 freakin 88....and youre gonna give me one freakin minute. Im not freakin Justin Beiber."

Im pretty sure he didnt say freaking:)

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey ya,

I know what is downstairs in my moms basement. I've lived here for over 35 of my 37 years. LOL. Mom has this gorgeous victorla photograh(esh, wish I could spell right this late at night) My brother gets that which is ok because I like coins better. Most of the stuff downstairs are my very numberous books, my dad's books which trust me no one would want. He picked up children's books from teh 1960's to current. what I can't sell in a garage sale, which goes to my mom, goes to donation. the worse of the worse that even a packrat like me couldn't reuse goes into the dumpster. Sorry that I forgot to tell ya that I live with my mom taking care of her.

Sincerely, GarouLady

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
What a dick. This is the first silver I've really sold from collecting, and it's only the 40%ers. I kept all my 90% and bullion. I've had a ROTH IRA I've contributed to since I was 20, have a pension plan through my work, and an investment portfolio, still only 26, but thanks for making a generalization about my ability to take care of myself.

I've paid cash for everything I can. The house was the first thing I've ever really been in debt for- pay my balance each month on all my CC's, own cars clear, etc. And even with the house, we bought way below what the bank thought they could lend us. We got a good deal on a table and a lamp for the dining room- both high quality vintage pieces, solid, with a good name behind them, which should appreciate in value as well as be appreciated, so I think I made the right choice. We could have decided to not purchase them, but realized that a month of tightening and selling off some extras would be worth it, because we could not pass the deals up and we'd regret them later. I'm not carrying any sort of balance over.

But thanks for all that. I'm sorry my rash decision of buying something I want and selling something I could do without made someone on the internet mad.

Again, let me know what it feels like to be a judgmental ***. I'd rather sell my 40% Kennedy halves and enjoy some quality furniture, than be a whiner on the internet with a stack of coins. To me, a 1000% return on my money was worth it, and it was an opportunity to enjoy something else that will grow in value over time, that I don't have to hide from everyone.

What I was trying to get at, is that I sold my 40% at close to melt- when people were discussing how difficult it is to get a good trade or price for them. What I was TRYING to do was help others on here with a strategy to trade off some of their collection.

The Ignore button is your friend...

:wink:

breed12

Jun 19, 2011
okla city okla
Detector(s) used
mxt pro. Cibola - bandido two
when i sell my silver i use the money to buy guns a great investment guns go up in price faster than silver also ammo can't go wrong

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread