Aug 23, 2012
Farmington NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have metal detected off and on for 10 years and have found a couple of coins that had holes drilled along the edge. I have also recently noticed on ebay and in coin shops that there seems to be quite a few old coins that have this same hole drilled. I can't imagine that the reason for this many coins having these holes is for wearing as jewelry. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Long ago there werent pockets in clothing.You either had a small coin bag or you pinned the coins to your clothes so you wouldnt lose them.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I am guilty. Back in the day I drilled holes in a couple of spanish coins so I could wear them as jewelry. Thought I was pretty cool. Then I gave them to girls I was dating. Oh well.

OP
OP
skimel

skimel

Aug 23, 2012
Farmington NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys! Great info.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Long ago there werent pockets in clothing.You either had a small coin bag or you pinned the coins to your clothes so you wouldnt lose them.

That's why the Paris mint made holes in the Laotian coins (believing the Lao people were behind the rest of the world and had no pockets).

52laos50.jpg

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sagittarius98 said:
That's why the Paris mint made holes in the Laotian coins (believing the Lao people were behind the rest of the world and had no pockets).

That's one of the reasons I love coins! So show much history! Thanks for sharing!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
That's one of the reasons I love coins! So show much history! Thanks for sharing!

What was interesting was that the hole was punched after the coin was struck, meaning the design was not made around the hole, but part of it was punched out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions