AU State Copper Pennies; Worth Anything Over Copper Scrap?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boristhespider88 said:
I searched a penny box yesterday. I got about 10 rolls of copper and these AU looking pennies. Is there any value to any of these or are they all just scrap copper pennies??
I am curious as well. I have found several of these.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep my AU's seperate from the others. They may be worth something to collectors someday.

Rigo

Sep 24, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, you should really look into the 1970-S and the 1972-S you have there. There are two varieties and an error as well you should look for. One is the "Double Die Obverse". A very nice item to collect. I can't see from the picture but if you take a picture of them by themselves, we might see better.

The other is that there is two different dates for 1970-S dates. A "small date (with high 7)" and a "large date (low 7)". If you have the small date with high 7, you can have a $100.00+ coin alone. So look closely with a loupe or a microscope. Study the differences from online.

Small Date Variety:
The Small Date variety is also known as the "High 7" variety. Even though "Small Date" is the more generally accepted term, it is easier to distinguish the two varieties by focusing on the location of the 7 than the size of the date itself. On the Small Date variety, the top of the 7 is even with the top of the 9 and 0 adjacent to it in the date. A second diagnostic for the Small Date variety is a weak LIBERTY which actually appears "mushy".

Large Date Variety:
On the Large Date variety, the numeral 7 in the date is noticeably lower than the adjacent 9 and 0 in the date. On the large date cents, the word LIBERTY is much stronger than on the Small date variety.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, you should really look into the 1970-S and the 1972-S you have there. There are two varieties and an error as well you should look for. One is the "Double Die Obverse". A very nice item to collect. I can't see from the picture but if you take a picture of them by themselves, we might see better.

The other is that there is two different dates for 1970-S dates. A "small date (with high 7)" and a "large date (low 7)". If you have the small date with high 7, you can have a $100.00+ coin alone. So look closely with a loupe or a microscope. Study the differences from online.

Small Date Variety:
The Small Date variety is also known as the "High 7" variety. Even though "Small Date" is the more generally accepted term, it is easier to distinguish the two varieties by focusing on the location of the 7 than the size of the date itself. On the Small Date variety, the top of the 7 is even with the top of the 9 and 0 adjacent to it in the date. A second diagnostic for the Small Date variety is a weak LIBERTY which actually appears "mushy".

Large Date Variety:
On the Large Date variety, the numeral 7 in the date is noticeably lower than the adjacent 9 and 0 in the date. On the large date cents, the word LIBERTY is much stronger than on the Small date variety.

I've never heard of a '70s small date going for $100+ dollars. I gues it's possible though. $65 to $75 is more like it. Just sayin'.

Rigo

Sep 24, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never heard of a '70s small date going for $100+ dollars. I gues it's possible though. $65 to $75 is more like it. Just sayin'.

A small date with "high 7" is very possible. In MS-65 a couple of years ago did go for about $65 to $75. Now, they can demand a higher premium. Just saying. I'm still new at collecting with about 17 years in the hobby.

Unfortunately boristhespider88, I don't see neither doubled dies nor small dates with high 7's. Sorry, but they are nice finds.

OP
OP
B

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Rigo said:
Unfortunately boristhespider88, I don't see neither doubled dies nor small dates with high 7's. Sorry, but they are nice finds.

It's okay, thanks for the help!

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
They go in 2X2's for me. Look great. Always 2X2 any 1968 S. No one recognizes them right now, but that was the lowest mintage of memorials, and will be like the 1914 D or 1931 D in a few decades.

OP
OP
B

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
They go in 2X2's for me. Look great. Always 2X2 any 1968 S. No one recognizes them right now, but that was the lowest mintage of memorials, and will be like the 1914 D or 1931 D in a few decades.

Thanks for the advice! :)

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
Here is a photo of the 70 S small and large notice the tail of the 9

ForumRunner_20121017_140926.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread