Liberty cap?

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys. Ive posted this on a couple other forums but havent been able to get any feedback. Please help me out! I found this one a few days ago. Its very tired and dates mostly gone but seems like I can make out the top half of a 93. I only have a dollar store magnifying glass and gives walleye vision. Im pretty sure its liberty cap but they were minted at @14 grams and @10 grams. My coin weighs @8 grams. Can a copper coin really lose that kind of weight? If it is a 1793 cap what would a reasonable value be in current condition. The pics are crappy quality so the coin actually looks better than appears. I called a local coin dealer and described it to him. He offered 5 bucks maybe 10 after seeing it. On line estimates are all over the place but all are much more than he offered. After all it was one of the first coins ever minted in the u.s. Any help or advice is truly appreciated.

ForumRunner_20121013_093618.png

ForumRunner_20121013_093635.png

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a flowing hair variety without a cap. I am by no means experienced with these coins but just looking at what appears to be the aggressiveness of the hair in your picture, I would say 1793 no cap.

Good luck, I hope you find out what it is!

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a flowing hair variety without a cap. I am by no means experienced with these coins but just looking at what appears to be the aggressiveness of the hair in your picture, I would say 1793 no cap.

Good luck, I hope you find out what it is!

Now that I look further, are you sure of the date? I looks like it could be a 1796 style.

OP
OP
adaminnh

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The draped bust is similar but not enough "bust" on this one. Still pretty sure its the top half of 93. Can a copper coin lose weight?

OP
OP
adaminnh

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didnt know that. I figured a smidge lighter here and there but no more than a gram. Thanks so much to all. Guess I need to get it to a dealer. Let you guys know what it turns out to be.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, through corrosion and wear.

No way would it lose that much weight and still have that much detail, I would lean heavily towards a Draped Bust Large Cent, but your photos are not good enough for saying for sure.

OP
OP
adaminnh

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im wicked excited. This is my 1st year of MDing (since may) and thats definitly my favorite find. Got it on a class 4 road here in greenfield. 5 inches down right in the center of the path.Had to dig about 200 bullet casings along the way but was worth it. My ace 150 kept bouncing between iron and coin. Great machine for finding metal, but sucks on discrimination and such. My only silver to date an 1893 barber dime rang wildly on pull tab. Like you seaninnh, ive found better stuff along old cart paths than around cellar holes.

OP
OP
adaminnh

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well you guys called it... 1797 draped bust. Thanks to all who helped out with this one! Im loving you guys and Tnet. What an incredibly helpful forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions