1 balboa coin of Republica de Panama

Alexey

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2012
Russia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello dear colleagues.
I am a modest beginning coin collector and kindly asking an assistance on the issue below.
Recently I purchased 2 coins x 1 balboa coin of Republica de Panama but unfortunately now I have completely made sure they both are fakes.
Firstly on receiving them, I was unpleasantly surprised they are not as heavy weighed as it could be expected (unfortunately I do not have such scales to check), although made of non-magnetic silver-coloured metal. Have to notice they were purchased as originals for adequate prices.
But after I felt first doubt regarding their underweight, I started to check numismatic forums and titles and then completely made sure in my suspicions, especially when compared pictures of genuine coins with my ones.
So, could anybody please kindly confirm if it is so as I think?
Moreover, as I purchased them by the means of web auction which provides strong customer support, I am pretending to be fully refunded.
That's for probably I may be requested to provide an expert certification about their inauthenticity.
Could be anyone has already faced with such problem and knows how to get such certification by the means of only photos, as I beleive it is quite enough to judge in this case. May I kindly ask to assist and give an advise?
Many thanks in advance. (sorry if I've made grammatic mistakes)

Attachments

• 1 balboa 1934-1.jpg
    1 balboa 1934-1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 2,572
  • 1 balboa 1934-2.jpg
    1 balboa 1934-2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,590
  • 1 balboa 1934-3.jpg
    1 balboa 1934-3.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 722
  • 1 balboa 1934-4.jpg
    1 balboa 1934-4.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 735

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I have two 1953 Balboas which are 90% silver. Your coins do not appear to be silver.

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lastleg said:
I have two 1953 Balboas which are 90% silver. Your coins do not appear to be silver.

Panamanian balboas where made from 1931-1947 with 90% silver.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
A

Alexey

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2012
Russia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like cheaply-made fakes. Sorry.

I completely agree with this. A girl at both my coins looks like a scarecrow in comparison to the girl at pictures of the same balboas which are described as genuine in the net. All the details on them are not so convex and deep as should be. Unfortanutely I did not researched it before the bidding on them (as far as I remember only few minutes to the ending left when I found them in listing) and previously have not met the same. Hopefully opened incident against them will be succesfully resolved in my favour. There is a surprising number of different fakes, as I see. Earlier I had enough wisdom to purchase 1 peace US dollar 1922, 1 ellis island US dollar dated 1906!? (fantasy or simply fake coin), a chinese fat man dollar and even small Hong Kong coin, dated 1890s but with George 5 portrait on it?! All these coins were purchased flea market in my native town. To be honest, last 2 coins I've bought knowingly, for cheap, just for a joke; while with both US dollar fake coins I was really bamboozled paying for their imaginary silver content as for the real. All these 4 coins (in contrast to these balboas) are stuck to magnet. (Looks like counterfeiters permanently improve their manufacturing and started to use a lead instead of a steel for their coins not to stuck to magnet anymore)

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
How can you tell "both" are fakes? I think only the first one is a fake.

Pan%201%20Balboa%201931%20EF-40.jpg

Compare those two coins to this one, the details are very light and "skeletal" on the 2 coins compared to the normal relief one in the picture above.

OP
OP
A

Alexey

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2012
Russia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is really cool coin! I also compared pic of origin coins with mine prior to raise an incident and report them as fakes.
There is also showing and comparing article in the net, maybe interesting to some of you to be aware about fake Panama coins
FK-100.1 (1934 Balboa Counterfeit)
... does it seem to me only that senior Balboa is looking archly at the fake coin, like he knows his coin is fake))
while at genuine one he looks serious and strict, like real late-medieval spanish conquistador.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread