Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
Josephiking said:
Are there any ways to test if my silver is real besides going to a LCS or jeweler? My silver is all just junk silver. Is junk silver usually counterfeited?

Naw dawg unless its a Morgan. Try da ping test

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dollar coins and pre-1900 coins would be likely to be faked. Most of those stick to a magnet. The real suspect ones will be key dates, nobody makes good fakes of 'junk' silver.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless you have good reason to believe it isn't real, just do the "ring" test and magnet test. Anything beyond that and you are wasting your time.

Bowen89

Apr 3, 2012
South Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bring a magnet if i buying halves from anyone other than my lcs. There really isnt a market for it right now but with gold and silver going the way it is i would be surprised to see some regular dated coins becoming fakes just because people don't check them

Forkeh

Greenie
Oct 30, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Morgans and Peace dollars are really the only commonly faked silver coinage that stands out to me. I'm assuming like most people, your junk silver is mostly varying sorts of halves, quarters, and dimes? No need to test really. I'd be shocked if any of it were fake.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any ways to test if my silver is real besides going to a LCS or jeweler? My silver is all just junk silver. Is junk silver usually counterfeited?
Pure Silver will turn Black if you dip it into bleach, that's what I do..

SS

OP
OP
jkng

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver Searcher said:
Pure Silver will turn Black if you dip it into bleach, that's what I do..

SS

Thanks. Do you wash it off with water to clean it?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Do you wash it off with water to clean it?
No...it has to be removed, a number of ways of doing that, I use it to high light the legend on hammered coins, you can remove it with a silver cleaner or lemon juice.

SS

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I sometimes use the tissue test using one thin sheet of two-ply Kleenex. I place a clad (half) dollar next to a 90% silver, underneath a tissue sheet. The silver appears "white", while the clad coin appears dark.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I stumbled upon a Chinese site selling realistic Washington quarter fakes, so you can't trust everything these days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread