Greenie
Aug 20, 2012
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello folks,
I found this coin while metal detecting on Friday and still can't figure out what it is. I found it near some graves from the 1800's and found other older coins nearby, (1893 Indian head, 1904 V nickel). I've done a decent amount of research and can't find anything so I'm hoping some of you more experienced coin buffs could help me out.

The front looks kinda like kind Edward facing left and the reverse has a wreath sorta like on wheats and large cents. It kinda looks like theres a 5 in the middle towards the top of the wreath. I can't really make out any of the text on it except for a few letters.

I'm sorry the pics suck, but its all I have to take pics with at the current moment.

**I think the coin is made from copper. It looks silver in the lighting in the pics haha

Thanks for your help guys

Attachments

• copper.JPG
    copper.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 130
  • copper2.JPG
    copper2.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 146

Alexey

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2012
Russia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like italian 5 centesimi of the king Victor-Emmanuil 2 bronze coin, dated about 1860s (if it is a bronze one).
I have the similar one with readable details. If it is a silver one, I doubt to recognize but you can adress to the net to check his coinage, as the portrait is definitely his.

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alexey said:
It looks like italian 5 centesimi of the king Victor-Emmanuil 2 bronze coin, dated about 1860s (if it is a bronze one).
I have the similar one with readable details. If it is a silver one, I doubt to recognize but you can adress to the net to check his coinage, as the portrait is definitely his.

Agreed

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
I believe it's a 10 centesimi coin; the "0" of "10' is clearly midway up the reverse side in the 12 o'clock position.
What is the diameter of the coin? (And I believe it's copper.)

Don.....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
However, if it is composed of bronze (versus copper), then it depicts Umberto I, not Victor Emmanuel II whose coins of that denomination was minted up until 1867. Another difference between the two monarchs' coins is that Emmanuel's 10C coin has a weight of 10 g and diameter of 30 mm whereas Unberto's was of 9.51 grams and 30.34 mm diameter.
Don.....

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
However, if it is composed of bronze (versus copper), then it depicts Umberto I, not Victor Emmanuel II whose coins of that denomination was minted up until 1867. Another difference between the two monarchs' coins is that Emmanuel's 10C coin has a weight of 10 g and diameter of 30 mm whereas Unberto's was of 9.51 grams and 30.34 mm diameter.
Don.....

I see "NU" on the front of teh coin.

It's a VEIII.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread