wash it more or leave it alone?

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi. I dug this nickel this morning. I'd really like to see better detail but dont want to 'clean' it. All ive done so far is rinsed off in a puddle and under tap water. What is the difference between washing and cleaning? What would you do?

ForumRunner_20121114_165956.png

ForumRunner_20121114_170015.png

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Looks like you used a little vinegar on it. Makes them reddish in colour. With 75% copper and 25% nickel composition they are almost
impossible to restore to original lustre. Send PM if you want to whiz it up a little.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless it's a rare, key-date then you can try any method you want.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you used a little vinegar on it. Makes them reddish in colour. With 75% copper and 25% nickel composition they are almost
impossible to restore to original lustre. Send PM if you want to whiz it up a little.

Vinegar actually removes the red. I've used it on my dug coins and they turned out to be dark gray.

Results Of Using Vinegar And Salt On Dug Nickels

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I would hesitate using more than soap and water on a coin. you can soak it, you can use a rose thorn to try to pry off grit. Anything more and you are "Cleaning" the coin and it will lose at least half of its value.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hesitate using more than soap and water on a coin. you can soak it, you can use a rose thorn to try to pry off grit. Anything more and you are "Cleaning" the coin and it will lose at least half of its value.

It's a dug coin with extreme environmental damage. There is no value to lose for common date coins.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
No amount of washing is gonna make that coin look better. Do what you want to it - you can't hurt it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread