BEWARE Fake "1922 No D" Lincoln Cent on Ebay! See Photo!

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New theory, once he got rid of the the D he probably realized that the empty D spot looked too clean or too new or carrying an odd color. From there he had to start possibly polishing and blending to make the whole coin look the same. How he did this who knows, someone should do an experiment for the case of our investigation to see how this was done.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it was all done with a Dremel tool.

The reason I believe it looks like he cut too deep is because he had a hard time removing the Ghost of the D

& yes it probably shone like new copper at that spot after, which meant he had to use copper cleaner or Buff the rest, or both.

& then used photo shop on the pic to hide the fact it shines like a new cent, turning it gray

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Jeff, you are probably right but that ear on the 1922 D has no detail but one verticle indentation. Looks like it was damaged in some
way in circulation. Without higher magnification I doubt we will ever know. I used MagEye but could see no ear shape. However the
plain 1922 shows some detail. In my experience with dremel improvement you get bright copper. The gray was caused by some
chemical treatment IMHO. Looks somewhat like a muriatic dip and brush.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
You can't imagine the number of dingy wheat-backed Lincolns out there. They desearve to be restored to dignity and honor,
like Mr Lincoln. One way is to polish the background and leave Mr Lincoln black. I prefer to do the opposite and just leave Mr.
Lincoln alone on stage. It all depends on the shape they're in.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't imagine the number of dingy wheat-backed Lincolns out there. They desearve to be restored to dignity and honor,
like Mr Lincoln. One way is to polish the background and leave Mr Lincoln black. I prefer to do the opposite and just leave Mr.
Lincoln alone on stage. It all depends on the shape they're in.
So your not "restoring" your defacing much the same way as the seller of the D'less pennys ...also why would one need to "restore" Mr Lincolns honor ? :dontknow: :tongue3:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Mr RIP, instead of explaining my motivations to you why do you care what I do with MY Mr Lincolns? To you it may be just another
coin to take advantage of by bying and selling but I keep all my Mr Lincolns even if they are old and fazzled. BTW have you ever put
a smile on Mr Lincoln's face?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I asked him how much actual silver was in his one coin and he replied that he dident know but guessed it was 60%.I then reported him and today his two auctions for the "silver" coins are gone. :laughing7:

I wouldn't report the Greek one, there is nothing that says you can't overprice something. You can't put it's 90% silver, when it's less, but there is no rule saying you can't list a 2012 cent for 1 million dollars.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr RIP, instead of explaining my motivations to you why do you care what I do with MY Mr Lincolns? To you it may be just another
coin to take advantage of by bying and selling but I keep all my Mr Lincolns even if they are old and fazzled. BTW have you ever put
a smile on Mr Lincoln's face?
Yes I have and I have also put a beard on Jeffersons face and gave Mr Franklin a nice curly afro.....I carve Hobo Nickles 8-) lol

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't report the Greek one, there is nothing that says you can't overprice something. You can't put it's 90% silver, when it's less, but there is no rule saying you can't list a 2012 cent for 1 million dollars.
I only reported the one coin...dont know why the other one was removed.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at his latest aution a fire hydrant for sale for $175 - click here
If you look closely you will notice in the background there are some tools..A razor blade, scissors, something that looks to be a magnifier and a dirty rag..also mcdonalds coupons...looks like we got a handy man on our hands folks..hehehe

handyman.JPG

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has this site ever considered having a scams/fake thread or section? I think it would be a great service to all. Remember that when collectibles get a flood of fakes, etc it impacts all of us as people can't trust what they are buying and it impacts the price of all - even the legit coins. I have seen this happen with different types of antiques, autographs, baseball cards etc. Every buyer of a fake is one less buyer of legit stuff. Just a thought.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at his latest aution a fire hydrant for sale for $175 - click here
If you look closely you will notice in the background there are some tools..A razor blade, scissors, something that looks to be a magnifier and a dirty rag..also mcdonalds coupons...looks like we got a handy man on our hands folks..hehehe

View attachment 701364

I noticed that also.This guy is several beers short of a 6 pack without a doubt. lol

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
too small to fool the fire Co

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If y'all look at all the other 1922 no D Lincoln cent's on ebay I think that most have been altered in some way. I give up...if people are dumb enough to bid on something like that then they deserve what they get.

Charlesp54

Oct 31, 2012
Hernando Ms / Memphis Tn
Detector(s) used
ATPro, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Propointer, 11" DD Coil, 5" DD Coil, 8" Concentric Coil, BH Tracker 4, Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I heard that if you wrapped it in a wet baby diaper or a rag soaked in horse urine it would give it patina. I have never saw the need to try it but I have heard it several times in the past.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread