Double stamped 1996 P Quarter?

Mills

Greenie
Nov 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering If this 1996 P Quarter had any value. I'm not certain whether to consider it double stamped, but it does have the impression of the opposite side on each side. Sorry for the bad photo quality.

Katiebeth 007.jpg Katiebeth 010.jpg

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to t-net can you get a better pic ?

OP
OP
M

Mills

Greenie
Nov 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try to get a friend to snap some better photo's of it. It's hard to explain but the double stamped portion is more clearly visible in darker light. Also, to clarify, since the pictures aren't very good, it seems to have been stamped with the opposite side on both sides. (Eagle on the front Washington face, and Washington face on the back of the Eagle side) The wings of the eagle are somewhat visible near the photo of the front of the Washington side.

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't be so sure it is post mint damage, I am having a hard time seeing how post mint damage could do this. It may be a flip over double struck, I would have it looked at in person by a reputable coin dealer.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the image reversed on the extra lettering? If so then it was done with a vise.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not reversed in the photos, that is what made me think it is not post mint damage.

OP
OP
M

Mills

Greenie
Nov 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a friend take a couple photo's for me. I'm not sure how much better they are. It's hard to explain but the overlay seems to be more visible in darker light. I don't see how this could be from post mint damage as the overlay seems to be behind the inscription, or from within the coin. But I am by no means an expert. :laughing7:

quarterfront.jpg quarterback.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread